Is my tank too close to my TV? Electric shock scares me bad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am completely terrified of electricity and will not even go outside if there is a chance of lightning. I think I have my tank far enough from my TV but I want to be sure. I also am buy this....

Amazon.com: Tower 30339015 5 Outlet 3 Prong Shockbuster Gfci: MSC Industrial Supply Co.

and I will turn everything off before putting my hands in the tank. My question is ...Has anyone here ever been shocked by their tank???

Here's my pics...

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
sorry! This posted as a brand new thread. Please moderator move this for me back to my original post?

I think the distance is good enough, just that you don't wanna put your tank right in front of the water where direct sun light will be on the tank.
if u gonna paint or have a background, then with the curtain down, it should be fine.

I never get shock by my tank.
actually you don't wanna turn everything off every time you have to do something with your tank. it will scare the fishes every time your powerhead turn on and off, and turning your equipment on and off will shorten their life time.
or if u r really scare about getting shock, your LFS should sell somekind of gloves, or just search online for aquarium gloves ^^.
your equipments should be all water prove and should not shock you.

they make a grounding rod that you can put either in the dt or sump that helps prevent electrical shock. If thats something you are really worried about, it may be worth the money for the peace of mind...

Thanks,

Yes I will have a background. I was going to add that later. Probably just get blue aquarium paper.

Shock really does scare me though so I will have to think real hard on keeping everything plugged in while my hands are in there.....

they make a grounding rod that you can put either in the dt or sump that helps prevent electrical shock. If thats something you are really worried about, it may be worth the money for the peace of mind...

Do you have a link or brand name? I can't do any drilling to this house because we are renting it

Shock really does scare me though so I will have to think real hard on keeping everything plugged in while my hands are in there.....

With a SW tank and LR, I'd be more scared of what hitchhikers are hiding near my hands when I perform tank maitenence.. LOL..JK.. or AM I?

Seriously though.. Just get the grounding probe.. I doubt anything would ever shock you, but it's a good insurance for the health of your fish.

With a SW tank and LR, I'd be more scared of what hitchhikers are hiding near my hands when I perform tank maitenence.. LOL..JK.. or AM I?

Seriously though.. Just get the grounding probe.. I doubt anything would ever shock you, but it's a good insurance for the health of your fish.

Hitchhikers beware..I have a Great Dane who loves seafood appetizers:D

Will definitely get that grounding probe

Changing your Outlet plug to a GFCI Plug is a better safety feature then a grounding Rod. The problem with the extention cord GFCI units is that they don't reset themselfs, so it the unit tripped it would have to be reset manually to get power back to your pumps and other equip. for your tank.
Also with just a grounding rod you may be masking a bigger problem.

Changing your Outlet plug to a GFCI Plug is a better safety feature then a grounding Rod. The problem with the extention cord GFCI units is that they don't reset themselfs, so it the unit tripped it would have to be reset manually to get power back to your pumps and other equip. for your tank.
Also with just a grounding rod you may be masking a bigger problem.

Grounding probes will NOT protect you from shock - that's not what they're meant to do. They're meant to drain off minor stray voltage and protect fish. A GFCI outlet is the only way to protect yourself and in my opinion is one of the few things in this hobby that should be a "must have."

I'm a little confused about the statement regarding GFCI units that don't reset themselves... you don't want them to reset themselves! If the unit trips, and my hand is in the tank, I in no way want that thing to reset itself because it just saved me from going up in a puff of smoke!

In my experience, turning off your powerheads/pumps isn't a bad thing if you're going to do tank maintenance, or even feed. It's actually a good habit to get in to when you feed because that way you're not blowing food all around the tank. By keeping the currents to a minimum, it allows the "cloud" of food to be eaten mostly by the fish, and not blown into inaccessable areas just to decompose and pollute your water. My fish don't seem the least bit concerned when the pumps/powerheads go off, and I haven't ever had issues with premature failure of those things.

Good points all.

But I can't modify the outlets since we are renting so I will have to just get the plug in GFCI

You all are the best. Thanks so much for the advice. I pick up my LR tomorrow. This is so exciting! Even if it is just water blowing around.

I meant CANT!

Good points all.

But I can modify the outlets since we are renting so I will have to just get the plug in GFCI

You all are the best. Thanks so much for the advice. I pick up my LR tomorrow. This is so exciting! Even if it is just water blowing around.

We're Excited for YOU... And remember.. Post some Pics when you get it in there~!

Grounding probes will NOT protect you from shock - that's not what they're meant to do. They're meant to drain off minor stray voltage and protect fish. A GFCI outlet is the only way to protect yourself and in my opinion is one of the few things in this hobby that should be a "must have."

I'm a little confused about the statement regarding GFCI units that don't reset themselves... you don't want them to reset themselves! If the unit trips, and my hand is in the tank, I in no way want that thing to reset itself because it just saved me from going up in a puff of smoke!

In my experience, turning off your powerheads/pumps isn't a bad thing if you're going to do tank maintenance, or even feed. It's actually a good habit to get in to when you feed because that way you're not blowing food all around the tank. By keeping the currents to a minimum, it allows the "cloud" of food to be eaten mostly by the fish, and not blown into inaccessable areas just to decompose and pollute your water. My fish don't seem the least bit concerned when the pumps/powerheads go off, and I haven't ever had issues with premature failure of those things.
My bad, I meant that the extension cord type won't reset(resume power) themselfs after a power outage.

Your TV? Wait till you see how many cords you have running into the water in your tank or sump. The TV is the least of your worries.

I wouldn't worry to much though. the devices are designed for that.

My bad, I meant that the extension cord type won't reset(resume power) themselfs after a power outage.

Not true.

I got into this on another thread somewhere here... I'll see if I can find it. But the short story is that only certain kinds of plug-in GFCIs won't reset after a power outage - most of the ones you and I buy in the store will not require a manual reset after a power outage. I know... I have several.

i have never been shocked.. and my hands have been in out of my tanks alot to either clean them or to replace the plants they have knocked around.. as far as the tank in front of the window. i just don't know about that even with a little bit of sun light i fight algay all the time so i replaced my tanks in my house away from direct sunlight or one was not in direct sunlight and alittle bit of sun light hit it and caused a little algay. i hope this helped out a little on your question

Back
Top Bottom