Is my tank too warm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Even with the dial down to 76, the heater is maintaining my tank around 83-84 degrees. I have platies, mollies, and serpae tetras.

pH 7.5, gH 12, ammonia and nitrites zero. Nitrates run in the 10-40 range because it’s in our tap water from the get-go.

Room is about 73. It’s one of those heaters with the built-in dial thermostat. I’m guessing it is faulty.

Multiple thermometers get the same reading BTW.

Hello MD...

Play with the heater a bit and gradually lower the temperature setting a little. Heaters can be out of adjustment as far as the dial is concerned. The water temperature shouldn't be more than about 78 degrees for most fish. If the water gets too warm, the fish will become oxygen deprived and move to the top to breath. Set up a fan so it blows against the tank. This will cool things a bit. Add an air stone to the tank too, to add oxygen to the tank water. Warm water won't hold O2 as well as cooler water.

B

If the water feels warm to the touch, it’s too warm. I would trust more the thermometer than the heater’s markings. Get another thermometer just in case

You'd be better off at room temperature than those numbers. I'd personally remove the heater entirely and test it on water without fish in it until you get it right. It might be faulty and toast your fish while you're trying to dial it in.

Back
Top Bottom