Is rinsing live sand a good idea before putting it in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pristine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is rinsing live sand a good idea before putting it in my tank. Should I rinse it with saltwater or regular tap water confused

You can rinse with regular tap water, or RO/DI. Either way, there isn't much difference, just whatever is easier for you to use. I use tap water when i cleaned my sand.

You want to rinse a couple pounds at a time, and really swish the sand around in the bucket/container. Do this until the water turns from a milky white, to a cloudy haze.

After that, you should be good to go.

If it`s live sand and you are worried about losing the nitrifying bacteria you could rinse it out in SW. I thought I read in a earlier post that it was dry though.

RINSE!!!!

I didnt rinse my sand because it was supposed to be alive. My sand has looked like crap from day one. It has caused my tank to have ALOT of nasty stuff in it too. 9 months later, it still looks like crap...Intense filtering has removed a good deal of it, but I sure wish I had rinsed the heck out of it.

Matt

I'm on the same boat as mrg02d, only my situation was with live rock instead of the sand. Only the rocks were so nasty and dirty that most of the grime transferred to the sand, which made my sand disgusting. A nice clean sandbed is always best, and trust me, once grime, dirt, and decaying matter mixes in with the sand, it's almost impossible to get it all out and have the sand clean once again. I cleaned my sandbed EVERY day and still, day after day, junk always came out from the sandbed.

To melosu58, my sand is dry in the bag. But when I open the bag should I rinse the sand before putting in the tank. Thanks to all with your rapid responses. All of you are like fish gods.

If it was dry it's most likely not "live" anymore.
It's probably just plain old sand by now so I would save the saltwater and give it a good rinse with tap. The more you rinse the faster your water will clear. Don't worry, it will be cloudy for a few days regardless.
Your sand will slowly become "live" when you start cycling.....you haven't started the cycle yet have you?

Back
Top Bottom