Is this a disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my male Betta for about 2 months in a 1 gallon aquarium with biweekly 20% water changes. The temperature is at about 74 F. I really can't remember if his front has always just been pale (bad memory) or not, but I've noticed it's been getting rather cloudy and a shinny gold has been developing especially in his front. Please look at this photo, it was really the best I could get and I took it 2 weeks ago.

I can't be sure, but I think I see a tiny little "salt crystal" suggesting ich, maybe. I'm a little worried about using medication because I'm afraid I'll just kill him, can I do the heating method and will a male Betta be okay with it? Thanks so much, I'm a super fish newbie

Looks okay to me. I cannot see any ich spots, but compare the spot you see to the ones in this article.

When you upgrade Betta's living quarters, invest in a Visitherm Stealth 25 watt heater. I recommend this heater due to the price and good review in the Product Review section. Also, keeping Betta's tank heated to 80*F will keep him healthy and help prevent illness.

Thanks :D, I'm slightly paranoid, but I guess that is better than dismissing something that could be a concern. I'll be sure to invest in a good heater for him.

I have another concern. My betta has been developing a shimmery, goldish brown (he is a dark purple/blue betta, by the way) tint in his mouth and "chest" area since I've last taken the photo. It kind of looks like a powder. I don't think it looks too normal, any idea if this is a problem?

Isn't velvet often described as looking like a powdery substance on a fish? (I've never had a fish with velvet so I've never seen it in person.)

Velvet does look like gold dust. I couldn't see the photo but your description sounded just like it.

Cee219 When you keep your betta in an uncycled bowl (meaning it hasn't gone through the nitrogen cycle) you need to do 100% water changes to keep toxins like ammonia at bay. I'm assuming your bowl is uncycled because of it's small size. 100% water changes aren't ideal but they are the only way to keep the ammonia levels at 0 at all times. Even small amounts of ammonia can be very bad for bettas.

Also, it's very important for newbie betta keepers to understand the basics of water quality. All fish keepers have to test their water for various things regularly. The basics are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gh, and kh. Oh, and of course checking water temperature daily.

If you are not already testing your water I would recommend buying a master test kit. I've seen them around for under $20 US. With only 20% water changes biweekly, I suspect your betta is being exposed to ammonia, which can lead to many types of illnesses and premature death.

When I started out with bettas I had no idea I had to test my water. In fact the store I bought them from never told me I needed a heater, water test kits or much of anything.

Good luck Cee.

Back
Top Bottom