Is this a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is all brown now because of the grape wood that i bought and i dont see my gold nugget eating... I think it may be because of all the other fish....(or it may be internal parasites, ill get meds at walmart tomorrow) anyways i plan on taking out 5 gallons out of my 29g tank and put all of my fish in there including the shrimps and then do a large WC to the tank, then add my fish the next day...

You could do that. Or take wood out and let it sit in water for awhile so you get all the tannis out.( tannis is what makes ur water brown) then everyday replace the water that ur wood is in with really hot water

Pckerfreak44 said:
You could do that. Or take wood out and let it sit in water for awhile so you get all the tannis out.( tannis is what makes ur water brown) then everyday replace the water that ur wood is in with really hot water

I already did that, but that isnt the main problem... I want to take out all the fish so i can put them back in , in a different order, like add my gold nugget pleco in before all the other fish so it can claim its property and hiding spot... Because i never see him eat! It scares me... I dont know if he is just afraid to go around searching for food or if he has internal parasites...

I have a 2.5 gallon tank ... Can i use that as a mini quarantine tank for the goldie for 2 days?

Pckerfreak44 said:
I'm sure he's eating. They're nocturnal so he probably comes out and night. How big is it?

He is 2" big , im not sure if he is eating at night because i come into check on him and he is nowhere near the zucchini or algae wafers... So all the other fish end up eating the food...

What fish do you have? What's the temp of the tank? You mentioned goldies? Also I"ve read conflicting things about grapewood rotting after a while; also if it was bought in the reptile section it might have been treated with something that isn't good for the fish. Is the tank cycled? Have you tested water parameters lately (ammonia, etc)? I'd replace the driftwood with something safer, do a large water change, and make sure the temp of the tank is suitable for all tankmates (e.g. Gold nuggets do well in warmer water). Plus a 30 gal may be too small for goldies and a gold nugget.

Oh.....yeah you're probably right LOL Knowing other tankmates will still help though in case there's something in there that's scaring the pleco.

librarygirl said:
Oh.....yeah you're probably right LOL Knowing other tankmates will still help though in case there's something in there that's scaring the pleco.

The stocking is
3 mollies
2 zebra danios
3 female guppies
4 platies
1 angel
1 silver dollar
1 red blue columbian tetra
6 cories
2 ottos
1 gold nugget
1 BN pleco
I know i am extremely overstocked but i dont know what to do with them...
I would like to give away all the molloes , all the guppies, and 2 of the platies....
I would put the gold nugget in my 55 gallon, but my oscar would try to eat it since its so much smaller...

Back
Top Bottom