Is this fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corimorgan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Silver Molly started with a white speck on his usually transparent fin. Within a week this spot grew and his fin appears ragged, missing and very white on the end. I suspect the Gourami may have nipped him and due to poor water quality the fin could not heal. I am now under the advice of my local fish store to improve the quality of the water. Pet Smart told me to stop doing water changes and leave it alone for a month?!?!? Local shop has me on 50% water changes every 3 days and adding salt. I purchased Melafix and am debating on whether to use it or not. If I do decide to use it I feel I should isolate the fish but I don't have any set up for that. I would hate to stress the fish out more while I try and figure out an isolation environment. I would love to just treat the entire 10gal tank but don't want to mess up any of my slowly recovering levels.

I have pictures of my Molly but I don't know how to attach them here.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. I don't know the values. Last test at local store wasn't that great but had improved from the week before. I don't have a test kit at home.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10 gal. tank set up for 7 weeks.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter Model 100. I don't believe this filter works well at all so I added the Aqua Clear Power Filer Model 20 100gph. Since I added this filter the water is finally clear all the time. Previously the water was very cloudy and smelly.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 4 fish. 2 guppys, 1 gourami and 1 molly. Not sure the size, they are only with me about 5 to 7 weeks.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I did water change today. Up until the molly developed this fin problem I was doing 10 to 25% a week. Now store has me doing 50% every 3 days and adding salt.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? 1 guppy and the molly have been through the worst of it with me and have survided since the tank was set up. The other guppy and the gourami and only about 5 weeks with me.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? New filter, nothing else new.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Omega One Freshwater Flakes. Is this food bad?? I suspect everything that Pet Smart gave me is bad and this food was one of their suggestions. I know I was overfeeding, but have corrected that for about 2 weeks now.

I believe those flakes are fine. Definitely do at least 50% water changes and at least once a week. I got told never to change the water with fish in for a month, too, when I first started. Bad advice. Melafix won't do much in the way of helping the situation. It really just works for lowering stress. The salt, I would watch the gourami. I don't think they handle salt too well. Definitely need to get a liquid test kit. Liquid is much more accurate than strips and you can see your exact readings rather than get told they're fine at the store. With the fin rot possibility, try doing 50% water changes every day. Poor water conditions tends to lead to fin rot and most of the time it can be cleared up with clean water.

Last question first- omega one is a high quality food. However, even the highest quality food should be supplemented with a variety of other foods to provide a full range of nutrients. I doubt the food has anything to do with the problem in this case, however.

Mollies are sensitive to water quality, and also do best in slightly brackish conditions. So keep up with water changes, and keep adding salt. Most likely it is fin rot, either from nipped fins (secondary infection) or directly from bad water quality. Melafix does very well with fin rot, and is quite gentle on the fish, so I would just treat the whole tank if you don't have suitable quarantine available.

Thanks for the quick responses! Glad to know that I am doing the right thing with the water changes. BettaGal, I have noticed the gourami has started acting sluggish from the salt!! Oh my poor fish... it's almost inhumane for the poor creatures while we learn how to keep a proper environment. I would hate to hurt a fish while trying to heal one. :(

We all learn. Try to find a tank for your mollie and probably some bottled bacteria. Then you can have it in the salt and the gourami will be fine. He'll forgive you for messing up. He's not my Torch, so you'll be fine.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the question, but I have some advice to offer. 20 gallons is the bare minimum for mollies. They should never be kept in less. I've heard lots of stories of mollies becoming extremely aggressive, stealing all the food, and sometimes killing other fish in less. Also, mollies are social fish and should always be kept in groups of 3+. I suggest you either upgrade or rehome the molly once it's healthy enough.

Back
Top Bottom