Is this good to do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 powerheads in my tank. Should I be hooking up the little air tube so it blows bubbles into the tank. Is this good to do? should it be done all the time?

Also, should I do this when making water for water changes. (use the PH's with the air tube)?

Thanks
For any info

What air tube are you talking about? Did you mean, attach something that will create this venturi-style microbubbles into your tank? Aesthetically for me, I don't like the microbubbles because it makes it seem as though the tank is cloudy.

I used to have an air pump that pumps bubbles in the tank. That seems to make the water clearer for me, I dunno why. The only thing is, salt formation start showing up outside of my tank's canopy. Sometimes ALL OVER THE PLACE too. Without the airstone bubbles now, there seems to be a very thin protein oil thingie that you see on the surface (even though I have a skimmer). But I resolved the salt stuff that I see outside. Just a good powerhead in your tank should be fine.

But I don't think you need to have these microbubbles to have a successful tank.

Also, what I do during water change is put the powerhead in the bucket of water, put airstones in there, then the salt. Then let it run for a whole day.

I don't know if this post helped you at all. I just don't understand the "air tube" yet.

When I say air tube. Imean my PH's can with this valve and tube I can connect to the PH so I can get the microbubbles.

I see, had the feeling that was what you were pertaining. Well, I don't know if it would be good. For what it's worth, a protein skimmer does the "microbubble" job for you. UNless ofcourse, someone can vouch for the benefit of it, I see none.

I had my ph with the air tube, but I didn't like the look of the micro bubbles. Makes the tank look cloudy like archie1709 said, so I took it off.

Don't need the microbubbles, in fact they can be bad for the fish. Good surface water movement is whats important.
I would just cap off the port for the air tubing.

quarryshark said:
I would just cap off the port for the air tubing.
Is there anything bad about not capping off that port?
I just recently found out by looking in a catalog that there was supposed to be tubing there! (tank was inherited).

I ran powerheads for years without capping off. However, if you cap them off there will be less maintenance involved over time, and the life of your ph will be longer.
bubbles in freshwater is fine, but one thing everyone here is trying to do in SW is eliminate bubbles. ;)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom