Is this ich? I'm afraid of the answer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good ! So glad the ich is better.

Thank!!! Just proof that the advice given was solid. If dedicated to the tank you don't need meds for this... I was worried but I had enough good people suggest salt and heat and to stay away from the meds. Looks to be working!!

I'm on my app or is have some "happy dances" right about now!!! :)

*happy dance* ;-)

Looks good! Barely any white left on him/her!

*happy dance* ;-)

Looks good! Barely any white left on him/her!

Bad news... Just noticed 3 other fish "showing" anyone know if its ok to raise the temp more or just keep going at 86 and keep doing what I'm doing?

Game plan is 10-14 days of this treatment. No meds.

Well I'm not sure about the temp but I figured I would mention that it is contagious to all of the other fish

Well I'm not sure about the temp but I figured I would mention that it is contagious to all of the other fish

Yeah if was wishful thinking I guess when I saw just the one fish. Now I see more today kinda bummed me out. But I'm reading this is normal and to be expected.

I also read some have raised the temp to 88-89 degrees!!! That sounds crazy!!

I just don't wanna lose the tank.

You'll probably have to keep the temp there for awhile to let the ich life cycle die off. Right now you're waiting for the cysts from the other fish to fall off and eventually hatch. If I remember right the high temp doesn't actually kill anything but makes them unable to reproduce.

Watch out for secondary infections or fungus. When I used the heat method I think I cured my fish but they died from a secondary infection which spread pretty fast at the higher temp.

Oh Dino that sucks!! Your on what? Day 3? Ich is NOT fun for anyone! I'd keep the heat steady now and wait for the "explosion" hopefully it doesn't! Maybe the cloudy eye is from a rub the wrong way on a stone ;-) *hopeful thinking*

It's pretty normal to see new spots. I'd have to go back and refresh my memory on the details, but this is part of the life cycle of ick. When you turn up the heat, it speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite. They drop off to reproduce, and that is the part when they can be killed. During this time, the newly hatched parasites are searching for new hosts. There's been some debate between what actual temperatures kill them, and what temps just prevent them from being able to reproduce. Having never used salt as a treatment, I'm now sure when/how that actually kills the ich.
It sucks, but it sounds fairly normal. It may have to go through the life cycle if the ich more than once to get them all. Just keep doing what you're doing, and keep treating for another week or so after you see the last spots to make sure you kill whatever may still be alive in the substrate.
I went through a recent bout that was the worst and most stubborn I've ever seen, but all my fish made it through. It'll just take some time.

Still going strong with treatment. A few more fish are now "showing" signs of ich, not sure if this is suppose to be the case but it seems to be getting worse at least to the eye cause I see more fish with spots then when treatment started.

Tomorrow will only be day 5

Still going strong with treatment. A few more fish are now "showing" signs of ich, not sure if this is suppose to be the case but it seems to be getting worse at least to the eye cause I see more fish with spots then when treatment started.

Tomorrow will only be day 5

It'll look worse before better. Have to remember if one was showing they were all probably already infected and they're just now showing the symptoms. Good luck they'll beat it!

It's going to get worse before it gets better. At least in the cases of ich I've had to fight. The first time I did strictly heat and salt. I lost numerous fish (my rams you may remember) since then I combined the heat/salt treatment with the chemicals and found it worked the best. Saved more fish worked faster and didn't stain any of my stuff. You may want to consider this if it becomes too long. However you are only on day 5 so not too bad so far. I've found the heat/salt took the longest (my time was 17 days) with a regiment of vacuuming on a daily basis. Hopefully your stock is strong and will pull through this with no issues :)

It's going to get worse before it gets better. At least in the cases of ich I've had to fight. The first time I did strictly heat and salt. I lost numerous fish (my rams you may remember) since then I combined the heat/salt treatment with the chemicals and found it worked the best. Saved more fish worked faster and didn't stain any of my stuff. You may want to consider this if it becomes too long. However you are only on day 5 so not too bad so far. I've found the heat/salt took the longest (my time was 17 days) with a regiment of vacuuming on a daily basis. Hopefully your stock is strong and will pull through this with no issues :)

Question about that- how high was your heat? I've read not to combine meds with high heat as both lower oxygen content in the water, so I've been sticking with salt and heat. I have some Paraguard on hand but am nervous about using it with high heat (86 F).

Question about that- how high was your heat? I've read not to combine meds with high heat as both lower oxygen content in the water, so I've been sticking with salt and heat. I have some Paraguard on hand but am nervous about using it with high heat (86 F).

Me? I'm not using meds. Just heat and salt. Temp is 86.5 degrees sometime it hit 87.0. Did a water change on Sunday so today is another 50% water change. Still fighting the battle.

I didn't know that.. I guess I got lucky. I used super ich cure. I think was made by API? I resorted to it because after two weeks I was still losing fish. Maybe what helped was the extra bubblers and that I lowered my tank level to make more agitation of the surface water too? I kept my heat cranked the entire time I think I had it at 84? It was a while ago now.

Me? I'm not using meds. Just heat and salt. Temp is 86.5 degrees sometime it hit 87.0. Did a water change on Sunday so today is another 50% water change. Still fighting the battle.

How are the fish doing? Showing more signs? Or starting to settle a bit?

Back
Top Bottom