Is this information on water changes accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
"If the ammonia is under 0.25 then you are okay. If it's between 0.25 & 0.5 then carry out a sizable water change, I would say no more than 50%. If your ammonia is very high, 1.0 and above, carry out a very large water change, 75%, 80%. Many people do a water test directly after the water change. Sometimes you can get false readings doing it this way so always carry out your water tests before your water change. It's not worth panicking about, your water change should remove the ammonia so don't worry."

I just started cycling my new 70L aquarium with 6 neon tetras. Ammonia levels yesterday were 0.25ppm, today they were 0ppm. Nitrite on both days is 0ppm. Nitrate today was between 1-4ppm. (I used filter media from an established tank)

So, if the ammonia levels are between 0.25 & 0.5ppm, should I do a huge 50% water change? I always thought it was 20-30%. My tanks only had fish in it for 2 days.

Generally, you don't want to do more than a 50% change. On that note its safe to carry out a 50% water change any time your ammonia level hits 0.5ppm. 0.5 is still perfectly safe for fish and it doesn't make you change your water more than necessary.

Some people freak when they get Ammonia. It can easily spike after feeding etc. You will be testing like a mad scientist for the next few weeks, so just keep an eye on it and if goes above .5 do a 50%.
Sounds to me like you cycled now, you probably always were, since you used established media. Just stock slowly and you'll be grand....

IMO, it is much safer and less stressful on fish do do regular small water changes. For instance, 10% per day will keep levels of pollutants consistently lower, giving the beneficial bacteria chance do 'catch up' on a daily basis.

IMO, it is much safer and less stressful on fish do do regular small water changes. For instance, 10% per day will keep levels of pollutants consistently lower, giving the beneficial bacteria chance do 'catch up' on a daily basis.

A 10% change however will have no effect on an elevated ammonia level. At a .5ppm ammonia level you will only drop it down to .45ppm

It also depends on the type of fish you keep. I have Cichlids which are know to have a large bio load and very messy and I usually do a 60% to 70% water change weekly on those and do fine.

Had fish for a while and they poop ALOT >.< lol

I do 50-75% water changes 3 times a week on my 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar, silver dollars, and a pair of Honduran red points. My fish love it. The more I change the more feisty they get, the brighter the colours and the hungrier they get. Don't be scared to do large water changes. 10% is just a waste of time. In fact I wouldn't waste time doing anything less than a 50% change. By the way 5 10% changes doesn't equal a 50% change. So all those small changes don't really add up to as much water as you think your changing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with the above post. 10% water changes are a waste of time. Water changes are great for fish and plants, and the more you do them the more successful your tank will be. Unless you have terrible source water, then atleast 50% water changes are what I would recommend on a weekly basis

A 10% change however will have no effect on an elevated ammonia level. At a .5ppm ammonia level you will only drop it down to .45ppm[/QUOTE

Yes, and 0.4 the next and so on. That is of course assuming no nitrification at all!

I do 50-75% water changes 3 times a week on my 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar, silver dollars, and a pair of Honduran red points. My fish love it. The more I change the more feisty they get, the brighter the colours and the hungrier they get. Don't be scared to do large water changes. 10% is just a waste of time. In fact I wouldn't waste time doing anything less than a 50% change. By the way 5 10% changes doesn't equal a 50% change. So all those small changes don't really add up to as much water as you think your changing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

+1 this is great advice. I notice my fish are brighter and more energetic the larger and more frequent water changes I do as well.

Back
Top Bottom