Is this just Ich? Or are we in for something bigger????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natika

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyon ;0)
We have a 4ft freshwater aquarium, it has been established approx. 18months-2yrs. About 4 weeks ago we removed 2 large salmon tail catfish, changed the interior decorations, and then added some electric yellow cichlids together with a few blue dolphins.

Our problem is with the red jewels in our tank who have been there from the start...

This afternoon we noticed one of the electric yellow boys dead, as we were fishing him out, we noticed one of the reds with white marks that seem to spread out around the edge of his scales, we have dealt with ich before, but this doesnt quite look the same, its not spotted so much as highlighting the edges of his scales. It almost looks like its cracked?!

He has it on his head between his eyes, at the base of his dorsal fin where it meets his body and also on the tip of his anal fin and the other fin that that runs under his belly. We had watched for ich after such a big change to the tank, but 4 weeks in, and so sign of stress until now.

Were not sure if this has anything to do with losing the electric yellow, i checked him over and could see no signs of the same condition.

Were really hoping someone might have idea... Will post photo'S (if i can get any decent ones) shortly...

Thanks an hope to hear from anyone soon :0)

Doe's it look kinda fuzzy? Like it's coming from underneath the scales? Anything like this pic?

img_1540359_0_7490b31b9835b156b7b2cdc18357be0e.jpg

I just dealt with an outbreak of suspected columnaris. Wiped out 22 fish in my tank. Only two showed signs of anything and they all dies within three days despite treating the tank with Furan-2. I remove that fish and either QT it or euthanize it and hope you caught whatever it is in time.

Hi Nubster,

thanks for the advice, I am about to look into it ;o)

I have managed to get at least one photo, where you can see exactly what it looks like, I will try and upload it now, if it doesn't work watch this space, it will be coming ;o)

cheers

Attachments

• 2011-09-11 23.22.01.jpg
    2011-09-11 23.22.01.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 79
Quarantine him/her and treat it immediately. It looks like ICH but you can never be sure. You don't want anyone else getting it

Back
Top Bottom