Is this moss or algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaDad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I inherited a tank full of what the guy claimed was moss a few days ago, and I picked out as much of the Christmas/Java/flame moss as I could. But now I’m left with this fine, dense green stuff. I assume it’s algae, but wondered if it might be a type of moss that I’m not familiar with, due to how massive it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thoughts?

IMG_4422.jpgIMG_4423.jpgIMG_4424.jpg

Looks like moss covered in algae

Kind of what I thought, but good to know I’m not alone in my estimation. [emoji23]

It was someone’s guppy tank that sprung a leak. Definitely had algae in it, but I wasn’t sure if this was maybe some sort of fine/dense moss. It has the consistency of marina balls though, which are algae, so.. ??*♂️

Kind of what I thought, but good to know I’m not alone in my estimation. [emoji23]

It was someone’s guppy tank that sprung a leak. Definitely had algae in it, but I wasn’t sure if this was maybe some sort of fine/dense moss. It has the consistency of marina balls though, which are algae, so.. [emoji1744]*[emoji3603]
Haha! Could they even see the guppies?

It was someone’s guppy tank that sprung a leak. Definitely had algae in it, but I wasn’t sure if this was maybe some sort of fine/dense moss. It has the consistency of marina balls though, which are algae, so.. [emoji1744]*[emoji3603]
Are you gonna fix it?

Are you gonna fix it?

Definitely meant to say Marimo, not Marino. [emoji23]

I’ll eventually reseal and resell the tank they came in, if that’s what you mean, yes. The fish that came with it joined my guppy collection.

Haha! Could they even see the guppies?

Oh, and no, I couldn’t see anything in the water because there was a lot of tank dirt mixed into the water, due to the emergency nature of the rehoming. [emoji51]

Definitely meant to say Marimo, not Marino. [emoji23]

I’ll eventually reseal and resell the tank they came in, if that’s what you mean, yes. The fish that came with it joined my guppy collection.
Oh cool, good idea. I watched some tutorials on line on resealing. Have done several now, pretty easy and cheap. I just use Ge silicone 1. Most of my aquariums we bought used for cheap since they were older. 1 had turtles, 1 had baby ducks, 1 had a bearded dragon, and a couple were leaking. I bought a 150g acrylic, delivered, on CL for $300 once. With fish, sump, decor and current usa 48" light. It took quite a bit of cleaning too

Oh cool, good idea. I watched some tutorials on line on resealing. Have done several now, pretty easy and cheap. I just use Ge silicone 1. Most of my aquariums we bought used for cheap since they were older. 1 had turtles, 1 had baby ducks, 1 had a bearded dragon, and a couple were leaking. I bought a 150g acrylic, delivered, on CL for $300 once. With fish, sump, decor and current usa 48" light. It took quite a bit of cleaning too

Yeah, buying, fixing and reselling is what pays for my hobby, since the wife doesn’t want me to spend any money on it. [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom