Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm worried about my lab. I've had it for a long time, but lately it has been hiding a lot. Today however, it came out and the bars on its sides were pretty dark, and his fins were dark black. Just wondering if this is normal, or what is wrong. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

I had to use flash but heres a pic.
3997762573_532799936b.jpg

you could try feeding and see if he comes out... if thats the case, try feeding them half what you feed twice a day... it could be getting bullied around?

do yours poop alot? i did a water change today and right after, and i mean right after, i got all their poop vacuumed up, 3 of them had poop hanging out 4" long... i was so mad...

do yours poop alot? i did a water change today and right after, and i mean right after, i got all their poop vacuumed up, 3 of them had poop hanging out 4" long... i was so mad...

Not so much lol.

you could try feeding and see if he comes out... if thats the case, try feeding them half what you feed twice a day... it could be getting bullied around?

I don't ever see it get bullied. It used to b good buddies with the zebras but it doesn't hang out with em much anymore. It's also the biggest lab. I'll feed it and it'll come out a few seconds, eat something spit it out and maybe eat something else and then hides again. He is definately growing though.

Possible it is a female and has fry in its mouth? They do tend to hide when they are holding. Also colors will change. Also they will chase food and spit it out.

How can i tell for sure whether it's holding or not and how long will it take? And I thought females didn't have black on their fins.

How can i tell for sure whether it's holding or not and how long will it take? And I thought females didn't have black on their fins.

Coloration varies between males and females. As far as holding, the mouth area swells and after a couple weeks you will actually see the eggs or fry in the mouth. PM dizzcat, she is the expert when it comes to Mbuna breeding.

i only saw 4 of mine for 3 days, then i saw them all one day... they tend to hide, alot... just dont give up hope on it... might wanna move some rocks to see... check behind your tank too... remember my experience with a missing fish?

Will do. I'm thinking of taking out all the rocks and putthem back in, but I'd like to get some eggcrate first.

Back
Top Bottom