Issue with cleaning sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandus911

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just realized sand is going to be a pain in my ***, but hopefully you guys can shed some light on my problem. I tried doing a water change, noticing a large amount of feces littering my beautiful sand substate (crushed coral something I think, it belonged to a cichlid breeding tank prior to my tank) and I tried to suck it up.

No dice. Wouldn't move a budge.

So I figured "ok, maybe my vac is weak? I'll buy one of those awesome Pythons because I was starting to abuse my 46 gallon. In short, I got it today and sure enough the Python was amazing, did both tanks in 30-45 minutes. Much better than the 1-2 hour process before.

However, poop would STILL not be picked up in my 125 gallon sand substrate :C. I would even stick it into the sand like you would gravel, but it would just drop back down slowly while sand grains were sucked up/churned. I'm at a complete loss right now on what to do, any advice, guys?

Pick it up with a net? If its that heavy and clumped together maybe that's the only way to remove it?

I just take the hose and lightly skim the top barely touching the substrate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom