Issue with keeping angelfish babies alive past 3 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezned16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI everyone, I have angelfish repeatedly but generally none of the babies live past day three. What am I doing wrong? I do leave parents with them but I don't think they are eating them.

maybe try seperating them from the parents into a net / seperate compartment on top of tank. my mollys had babys and they were lucky enough not to get eatin by the other fish! maybe try in reasing the number of plants / hiding places in tank so the other fish cant find them as easily.. also make sure you crush your fish food very very well ! this way they do not have trouble eating it!

Best of luck to you !
- Myles - Canada -

HI everyone, I have angelfish repeatedly but generally none of the babies live past day three. What am I doing wrong? I do leave parents with them but I don't think they are eating them.

The timing sounds like a nutrition issue. What are you feeding the fry?

I am grinding up angelfish food. Maybe I'm not grinding it enough. An angelfish breeder told me that. Don't use baby food on shelves. It's too big for the babies.

I am grinding up angelfish food. Maybe I'm not grinding it enough. An angelfish breeder told me that. Don't use baby food on shelves. It's too big for the babies.

The best foods for newly swimming Angel fry are live foods( Baby brine shrimp, Microworms, Vinegar eels,etc.) The motion of these foods is what gets them to start feeding. Powdered type foods don't come until later. I'd try some of these and see how you do. I'm currently hatching out brine shrimp for my Angels and you can see that the fry are eating them by the orange belly they get. We call that BSB (Brine Shrimp Belly :lol:)
This is what that looks like:

These fish hatched out 10/24/13 but I have some fry that became free swimming 2 days ago that also get that look but they are too small to photograph with my camera. But with the naked eye, you can see that 5 or 6 shrimp brings out that orange color.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks. I have a brine shrimp hatchery. I will have to try it and see

cool i did not know they prefer live! interestinf ! goodluck with your angels :)

Back
Top Bottom