Issues with tank... not sure what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcaldwe2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g reef tank that I have had for almost 3 years now. I have never had any issues with the tank until the last six months. I used to have mushrooms, many feather dusters, snails, a crab and a chocolate star fish, BUT over the last 6 months I have lost all of these creatures. I have three fish that I have had since I started my tank back in 07' a domino damsel, blue devil damsel and a percula clown and have not had any issue unless I add any new tank mates all three are VERY aggressive. Recently I tried adding in another clown and a damsel both are gone now, not sure if the others had it out for them or if they were sick from the fish store they maybe lasted two months. Another thing, I bought some copepods off of ebay probably six months ago which never flourished. So I am thinking that introducing one of those probably added something undesirable to my tank. My fish are in great health but everything else has seemed to go to crap. I need some direction to get my tank back to where is was in the fall... Sorry to go on and on..

Get your hands on a copper test and test your water for that. Sounds like it's mostly inverts that you're having trouble with, and inverts are highly sensitive to copper. Damsels are aggressive fish, fine when you add them together, but when you add newcomers they can/will cause problems. Welcome to AA!

I have not done any water tests recently since my tank is fairly stable. My kit doesn't have a copper test in it so I am gonna have to grab one. What would cause an increase of copper?

I have never used any meds, I bought the tank new 3 years ago, nothing that I know of contains copper around the tank. I mean nothing has changed except adding those animals. I guess I will test for copper and go from there...? lol..

hmm.... I may of...what I usually do is add water from my tank to the bag the new fish are in then add them... this is all very frustrating...I have been searching copper issues.. and most seem to reflect the same issue; loss of inverts... so you probably hit the nail on the head!

Most LFS keep some level of copper in the fish only tanks as well as a reduced SG/Salinity level to reduce the risk of parasites. If you did add the water from the bag, that may be your problem. Just go grab that test to confirm it.

*EDIT* Here are a few copper test kits if your LFS doesn't have them....
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+13510&pcatid=13510
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+15470&pcatid=15470
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+16562&pcatid=16562

Last edited:
Wow thom.. nice catch if it is copper. I would love to know what is causing all those inverts to die.. pretty weird ey?

definitely appreciate the advice! I am gonna pick up a copper test kit tomorrow!

I would check your nitrate levels and do some reading on the subject of old tank symdrone. some tanks go through this .

The build up of nitrates only happens if a person literally never, or once every 6 months/year does a PWC. Everyone on here with a tank that is more than 5 years old does their PWCs religiously.

Ok, sorry for taking so long. Finally bought a copper test kit and the tank has a 0ppm copper level according to the test. Also, nitrates, KH and calcium are all with in range. The thing I found is that I have between a 5.0-10ppm of phosphates in the tank and in the filtered water (not R.O.) that I use. So I am thinking this may be the issue. I recently moved in the last year and the water source has changed, probably my issue..... I am guessing I need to invest in a R.O. system to achieve 0ppm of phosphates... I change the water (try to) every week (10%) and a 20% change every two...

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Invest in an RO/DI unit and your problem will go away in time.

Back
Top Bottom