Iteration #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been busy with my tanks since I got back into town. I'm still not happy with it but this is the latest layout of my big tank (125G). I changed to a cobalt blue (I'm colorblind, but that's what color my friends tell me it is) background and have redone the hardscape. Since my fish are all African cichlids I've tried to feature the rockwork a lot more but I'm still not happy with the way it looks and am planning on changing the plantings a bit. I think I'm about 60% there but would love any advice you guys want to give. Please forgive the sparse foreground, the Downoi needs to grow back in, as do many of the other plants.

Tank_290706_x800.jpg

Wow... 8O... even your work in progress tanks look great. If I were to nitpick, these are the suggestions I would make.

The left side feels pretty solid to me as far as the hardscape goes, although I'd like to a denser plant of some sort in front of the rock but behind the Hydrocotyle. I think something red might look nice so that the Hydrocotyle still stands out.

For the right side the plants are looking much for satisfying and I feel it will be even better once the red plants fill in and the red comes back out. The one thing that I'd like to see is the sides of the rockwork come up just a bit higer. Perhaps about three forths of the way up the tank on the far right and two thirds on the middle right.

The only other thing I might like to see is a small rock or three just peeking through the substrate a little bit in the foreground, probably in the middle left and maybe another to the far left. Just enough so that it doesn't feel that all the rockwork is in the back of the tank.

Also I've got to say that the Downoi foreground is simply stunning. It's such a striking plant, I wish that it liked me and my tanks. :roll:

Hardscape?

The ground covers are so thick, there's no much in the way of color contrast with harscape items.

I still like it though. :)

Ummm... I have nothing to suggest. As Purrbox said, even your work in progress is stunning. Maybe something red... :wink:

I think you need to show off the hollow stump like you used to. Striking and inspiring tank as always.

I agree with the idea of needing to break up the front a little. Maybe a couple rocks, tree limbs or anything that breaks the look of the foreground. I think the levels are absolutely awesome and give some really good shape and contrast and the darker areas set it for some intrigue and curiosity. I just think that the hardscape is covered too much and doesn't give a look of I am here and make the landscape instead of the plants being the sculpture and the hardscape just a place to take root.

FWIW, I don't think reds belong in the scape more than they are already. The different greens have set the tone of a very nice tank and a great collection of contrast and comparison.

Great advice guys, thank you :) As suggested, I've added some rocks to the left side to break up the foreground a bit. I've also moved a few plants to give it a more off-center look. It's going to be at least a month before things get grown-in so the final look may be considerably different than it appears now. I will try to get a good picture this weekend when I get back home. I never thought I'd say this but I think I could actually use a little more light to properly illuminate the tank for photos :p

it look awesome but i always love to see more red in planted tanks. did u get rid of some fish? the tank looks soo empty lol. i think once it fills in it will be yet another jaw dropper tank that seems to come so naturaly to u. when u sendiong me some of those amazing plants? u need to check your pms!!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom