It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the main issues of using a sand that contain silicate?

If it's "sanitized" playsand then silicates are not the problem, you can use it in your tank, but it will not help to buffer your ph, and also it's actually darker than the "tropical sand". Some sand dwelling creatures won't live in it but some others don't mind the difference. (I beleive I got all that right) HEY FREEK, wanna help me out here. 8O

Well there is no sand in my area!!!!!!! :evil:

That stinks. If anyone knows where I can get some locally please let me know. I am in the Chattanooga Tn, North Georgia area. Thanks! :wink:

Considering that I just came home with a 125. I guess about 6 bags. Thanks. And if I find it how much do you want?

Hey Gerald, how far are you from rockwood, Tn.?

Did you know that there is an Old Castle distributor plant there?

David, if you can find out if they will sell direct and have what we need I will be willing to drive over and pick it up.

Thanks for the Kudos Billy! When I found this I thought that it was rather interesting. Def. makes you think twice about adding just any old sand to your tank. Silicate sand.....None for me Thanks! :wink:

Ya Gerald I will check. I also talked to Old Castle and they said that they distribute to lowes and wal mart. I told her that we need some down here around Chatt town.

I also talked to a local Home Depot and the man is supposed to call me back about seeing if he can get some transferred to a local store. He said he could if they had that type of sand in their computers.

I will keep you all updated. I will find some cheap sand!!!!! :D

I am going to Texas for a conference in August. I dont want to wait that long, but if I dont find any before then I am getting us some Gerald. :wink:

Ok, what department of HD have you guys been finding this sand? Everytime I ask for sand they send me to the lumber department were all the concrete mix and stuff is. Should I have been looking in the lawn and garden department?

Thanks,

-Maximo

I found it in the Lawn and Garden section. The stuff in Lumber seems to be silica sand. I live in VA and drove up to Harrisburg PA for it.

yes, the stuff you want is considered play sand, so you're most likely to find it in the lawn & garden areas.

After 4 hours on the phone with various Home Depots--Their sku# is 578819 and if your are patient enough and have a nice person on the other end of the line they can go into their computer and check the other Home Depots inventories hopefully saving you a few miles of driving.

Additionally, The bag had "Durascape" Old Castle Stone Products" from the caribbean and all that other jaz which identified it as the sand we all seem to be looking for. Chicago IL area seems to have much on hand. The midwest area there is none to be found. The Home Depot's can x-fer it from one store to the next but unsure what the delivery time would be.

Appears a lot of Home Depots got it and clearanced it immediately. Seasonal I guess. Anyway--Hope this helps someone :idea:

Jeff Williams
Evansville, IN

Back
Top Bottom