Jack dempsey male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright so let's try this again. When I first got this jack I wanted to know what sex it was but everyone said it was to early to tell so here is another pic 3 or 4 months later. Can any of you experts tell whether my jack is male or female? Thanks in advance!

image-174788541.jpg

image-1170414554.jpg

image-2763260048.jpg

Looks like a female to me also. The spangles on the gill plates and under the eyes are more blotchy which is usually a female trait.

She's very pretty. I love the darker colored specimens. A good sign she is healthy and unstressed.

Thanks pal, I try my best to keep Her heathy and happy lol she's like any other female, i spend more money on her then myself

Critter1990 said:
Thanks pal, I try my best to keep Her heathy and happy lol she's like any other female, i spend more money on her then myself

Haha.....too funny. Why don't you get her a mate??

I only have a 55g tank and I don't want a male coming in stressing her out ya know

Critter1990 said:
I only have a 55g tank and I don't want a male coming in stressing her out ya know

I hear ya. I have mine in a 55. Minus the pleco. Both are over 6". Male was in the tank first. When I first put the female in there was a long drawn out battle but just when I thought is was going to go to the death, they stopped fighting and became BFF. Now they never leave each others side. Your girl will hold her own I you put a male her size in her tank. Promise she more than likely will not be a pushover.

That's pretty cool, nice looking fish as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot! I would have to buy a male jack and Let it grow a little before I put it with the female. I have an extra 10 gallon I'm sure that will work for a month or two?

Critter1990 said:
That's pretty cool, nice looking fish as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot! I would have to buy a male jack and Let it grow a little before I put it with the female. I have an extra 10 gallon I'm sure that will work for a month or two?

How big is she now? From the looks of it prob 3.5-4"?

cbourg746 said:
How big is she now? From the looks of it prob 3.5-4"?

Sorry.....I should have scrolled back some. Male jacks in that size are easy to come by......at least in my area. Look for more pointed fins and more well defined circular spangles under the eyes. Often they will not extend far down from the eye and gill plates.

They have to get a little size on them before you can accurately sex them unless you can find one that is already sexable size. I know some box stores sometimes get them in and label them as 'med' or 'large'.

jetajockey said:
They have to get a little size on them before you can accurately sex them unless you can find one that is already sexable size. I know some box stores sometimes get them in and label them as 'med' or 'large'.

Ime.....I've found jacks to be relatively easy at the 4" mark. Albeit, not all specimens fall into that generalization.

That sounds about right to me. I don't usually see them that size in the box stores though that's why I mentioned it. I think by the time a male gets to sexable size it's plenty big to hold it's own against an adult female so it might be easier to find a sexed one instead of guessing with a random juvenile.

jetajockey said:
That sounds about right to me. I don't usually see them that size in the box stores though that's why I mentioned it. I think by the time a male gets to sexable size it's plenty big to hold it's own against an adult female so it might be easier to find a sexed one instead of guessing with a random juvenile.

Agreed!!

Yea I think I might get a medium size male at petsmart which would be around 2.5in and beef him up for a couple months then add him

Check my tank out on my profile pics and let me know what you think! I'm sure you know a lot more then me do so if you think there is something I can do to make it better please tell me!!!.

Back
Top Bottom