Jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GLOBAL1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got these 2, I gave them in a 4ft 190l tank at the moment, I've never had Jack's before and had these given to me by a person on Facebook who's shutting down all his tanks, it was save them for £5 or wonder what he did with them after he closed tanks and look at them! I couldn't just let them be! But I read online after that they get to about 12 inches but there are so many different kinds I have no idea what type they are? Any ideas? I figure one is a lemon maybe?20200411_094643.jpg20200411_094640.jpg20200411_094625.jpg

Are you sure? They are the same size and shape lol, I'm not saying that you're wrong but if one is a jewel surely they both must be? Given that they are both identical except colour.
The red-gold one is not a Jack Dempsey. I think it is a Jewel Cichlid, genus Hemichromis.

They are different a lot of different species have similar shapes but I can assure you 100% they are different fish because Jack Dempsey cichlids don’t get red/ yellow on their whole body I think it’s a jewel Cichlid as well. Look up jack dempsey then look up jewel Cichlid and you will see.

There are different color variants but the only onesI think Jacks have is electric blue or just the normal Jack Dempsey

I did, I was told they are both Jack's [emoji28] so do you know how big it will get? If it's okay keeping them together and if my tank is big enough?

Jack dempseys normally reach around 10-12 inches in the aquarium. Jewels usually reach around 6 inches from what I know. When it comes to if they can live together you really just have to test it out for yourself because it’s the individual fishes personality that determines whether they can live together. Some Jack Dempseys are timid whereas some are quite social and aggressive so try your luck. If you notice any aggression take out whichever fish you like less and put it in a different tank or give it to your Local fish store if they take it(call ahead). Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom