Jacked filtration a wee bit today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcfly

Aquarium Advice Regular
My current tank, and 60+ gallon glass was a swap out from a 55 gallon glass with terrible glass etching. When I set up the 60 gallon, I just reused the filter and media (after a tank water rinse) from the 55, a Penn Plax Cascade 700.

The filter has been doing its job, but the 700 is close to (or at) its limit in a 60 gallon, so I jacked up to a Cascade 1200. BAM!

The switch over was super easy, as the hoses and piping are the same on the 700. The extra 2 filter media trays gave me room to add a second bag of bio rings, and a bio-foam. Except the floss, all the old media from the 700 went into the 1200, which should minimize the bio-load spike. The extra media should give me a rich bio-filter, teaming with nasty little fish poop eaters.

The volume difference between the two filters was more than I expected, even with the filter 1/2 full, once I opened the taps, I lost an inch of water in the tank! :blink:

Nothing to do but test the water for a few days for safety sake, and fill up the missing water. The fish should enjoy the uber clean clean water.

Back
Top Bottom