JBJ Nano 28 with PRO LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumenart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I am new to this board so I thought I would post my experience starting a new JBJ 28gal with the PRO LED lighting system.

I have been away from the hobby for about 10 years, new kids and starting your own business will do that to you. I also gave up golf but that had more to do with the ranger telling me to stop throwing my clubs.... but I digress.

I chose the JBJ after much research and bought it through a LFS. I was nervous about ordering a glass tank online due to possible breakage but after seeing the packaging I shouldn't have worried. Also, my LFS totally screwed up the order and it took about 6 weeks to get the tank and stand. Based on my experiences with LFS in the Chicago area it is no wonder that online business is booming.

Why did I choose the JBJ you ask? I was attracted to the following features in order:
1) The upgraded LED with three distinct LED systems on board (I own a lighting fixture manufacturing company (yes we make LED fixtures) and I know the risks of DIY LED systems that are poorly designed and marine systems are even more potentially problematic)
2) The two outputs with the wavemaker standard
3) The custom stand with the ability to add a chiller in it.

My impressions during set up:

PACKAGING
As mentioned this system would certainly stand up to UPS shipping

STAND
The stand looks nice but makes Ikea look like fine furniture. Two panels had defective laminate and it was missing some screws. I made several calls to JBJ and no one returned calls. I had to hunt around their voice mail system and left several VM and finally had success. JBJ sent out replacement parts N/C.

The tank set up was a breeze and everything worked as advertised.
MEDIA BASKET
During my research I found the INtank up graded media basket and bought that plus the JBJ refug LED light since I wanted to add macro algae to the back of the tank. The INtank basket is superior to the stock basket in material, construction and capacity. I strongly suggest making this upgrade. One point to note, the LED canopy has a new flange detail that does not allow the INtank basket to be secured. You will have to find an alternate method to push the basket forward to allow the overflow to flow over the basket....small detail.

PUMPS
The pumps seem a little underpowered and when used with the Ocean Pulse Duo they grind a little when they alternate/switch. Not sure if it is a pump issue or they switch needs a ramp up phase to eliminate the grinding. Still, it is a nice feature for a small reef tank.

LIGHTING
This is the main reason I selected the JBJ system. All three LED systems work well. All three have separate drivers and transformers to allow for separate switching. JBJ if you are listening: Please develop a timer system that allows all three phases to be plugged into ONE programable strip. I had to purchase three 3 Westek digital timers to switch the three lights independently. I suggest digital timers since they are silent vs mechanical timers. They do have battery back up in case of power outage and can manage multiple on/off cycles..... bonus.. they are very small so you can plug all three into one strip.

The main LED system requires cooling and this accomplished with fans. The fans are only really noticed when they start up...otherwise pretty silent. Check your fans often if one goes then you will fry your LEDs, that is the danger of fan cooling vs heat sinking. I dont have a PAR meter (may buy one when I set up a big system at work) but so far the polyps and SPS that I have seem fine. Color quality of the main system seems fine. The CRI seems a bit low but that is nit picking

The entire LED board is housed behind a gasketed acrylic panel. This is very nice since the canopy encloses the entire tank with the lighting system. This prevents salt creep into the LEDs. I wipe down the panel every few days with a soft cloth.

I will detail the rest of the set up and cycle next.

Cheers

Sounds good. Post some pics when you can. I went the other route. The Bio Cube 29 was my choice. I pretty much gutted the thing but then again I like modding things and love gadgets.

Sounds good. Post some pics when you can. I went the other route. The Bio Cube 29 was my choice. I pretty much gutted the thing but then again I like modding things and love gadgets.

I will post a pic on my next update. I am just like you love gadgets and love to experiement. I bought the JBJ because it was a self contained system... well we all know that is not really true and my need to upgrade and fiddle with things got the better of me.

Here are some pics as promised. This is after I cycled the tank. Live stock consisted at the time of photo Picaso Clown, Azure Damsel, Brown Polyp (green eye), Emerald crab, a few hermits and snails
Just after cycle.JPG

JBJ28LED with HOB Skimmer.JPG

Stocking and cycling

I wanted to try something different with this set up.
1) To avoid using regular live rock (due to expense and trying to save a coral reef or two) so I opted for 35lbs of dry eco rock from BRS.
2) And to avoid stressing fish so I cycled with Dr. Tim's One and Only. I checked the levels daily and the tank cycled beautifully.

After the cycle I added a Maroon clown and Azure Damsel. I checked levels every few days. After about a week I was developing some nice green algae...nothing too serious so I added a clean up crew of hermits, snails and a Emerald crab. They made short work of the algae... almost too good since I levels were all zero I basically have sterile rock. I was counting on the bits of live rock that come with Zoas and Polyps to kick start coralline algae.

A few weeks after adding the fish the Clown died. I suspect I under fed it trying to keep the levels in check. I need to let the clean up crew do their work. Replaced the Maroon with a Picasso Clown. This guy is not shy about eating.

At this time I also added a Tiger Watchman Gobie. I love watching this guy sift the bottom and create his shelter. Very cool fish.

Sometimes I am too clever for myself

So I added a new Koralia Nano to my tank to get more flow for two Flavias and a Frogspawn. These new additions seemed to be doing will with the existing pumps but I thought a little more flow couldn't hurt.

Naturally, it stirred things up a little but not more than during a PWC. The Clown had to move to a new location since his old location was in the path of the flow. The Frogspawn reacted positively and the Flavias also extended their tiney tenticles.

This morning I woke to find my Damesel and Goby dead:(. The emerald crab had already pulled the Goby into the rocks and was having a feast. The kids were horrified so I used this as a learning opportunity to teach them about nature and that nothing is wasted. Naturally, when they weren't looking I pulled out the dead and gave them a proper burial at sea.

I checked my levels and I only have slightly elevated ammonia (possibly from the dead fish?). Nitrites and Nitrates were 0. Doing a PWC tonight.

Did I unlock something from the gravel when it was stirred up by the new pump?

About an hour before I added the pump I had target fed the corals with frozen baby brine shrimp. I fed them before with the same batch so I don't think the shrimp are bad.

The corals and the clown seem to be doing fine.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom