July 2011 Freshwater Photo of the Month Contest Submissions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Please submit your pictures for the July POTM contest.

Please refrain from discussing the photos in this thread. Only information about the particular photo will be allowed. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss a particular photo.

The Rules:
  • All photos must be original photos taken by you or photos of your tank. (please do not submit photos of another persons tank unless you have written permission from them to do so. If you do please include this written permission with your submittal)
  • All photos must be submitted in .jpg format and should be limited in size to 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 depending on layout and a file size no larger than 250KB.
  • All submissions should include the common name and scientific name of the subject contained within the frame.
  • All submissions should also include helpful information relating to the background of the subject, care requirements, etc.
  • Only 1 photo submission per month per member.
  • No photo editing other than resizing is permitted.

Submissions for the July POTM will be taken until 8pm EST on July 24th.

My german blue ram, scientific name - Microgeophagus Ramirezi.
These fish require an established tank with the preferred pH of around 6.0 at a temperature of around 26-30 degrees celsius.
The german blue ram is an omnivore, like most fish they love bloodworms like the one in the picture. Most people think they are extremely hard to care for but the fact is they aren't really they are just more picky about the water requirements. It is good to have a densely planted tank for them to stay in with some caves. These fish are great parents and protect their offspring until they can fend for themselves, they are very beautiful fish I would recommend them to anyone with a suitable tank.

268936_245245362155110_100000089438621_1071075_1506963_n.jpg

Paradisefish aka Paradise Gourami (Macropodus opercularis)
Pair shown in mating embrace
This is a stunningly beautiful fish akin to the standard gourami and other labyrinth fishes. A highly underrated fish in recent years, it was one of the first to make it to aquaria in western civilization. These fish are highly adaptable, and do quite well in unheated tanks. They even make fine specimens for outdoor container ponds. These fish truly set the standard for hardy fish, comparable to, or even more hardy than their betta cousins. Because of this, a solo fish can be kept in as small as a 5 gallon tank.

The males, like other labyrinth fishes, can be very aggressive towards one another, and are best kept 1 per tank. They are very easy to sex when mature, like bettas, the male generally has long flowing fins and the female much shorter by comparison. They are bubblenesters like bettas, except the female can be left in the tank after breeding, assuming that she has the ability to get away from the nesting site, which the male fiercely guards and manages 24 hours a day until the fry are hatched.
img_1434350_0_c80adec464e86d10315ce911f81800fd.jpg

Fiddler Crab - Uca spp.
I'm leaning towards Uca burgersi, could also be U. pugilator or something...
The crab in the corner is U. minax.
Land access is a must for fiddlers. I keep mine on a sand substrate in brackish water. Specific gravity is around 1.010. They'll eat most any pellet, mine love Hikari Massivore.
img_1445896_0_9f0156ddce0de2b1f2abaad1acdf6354.jpg

My Tank

Common Name: Silver Veiltail Angelfish

Scientific Name : PETROPHYLLUM SCALARE

From WikiPedia: Pterophyllum is a small genus of freshwater fish from the family Cichlidae known to most aquarists as "Angelfish". All Pterophyllum species originate from the Amazon River, Orinoco River and Essequibo River basins in tropical South America. The three species of Pterophyllum are unusually shaped for cichlids being greatly laterally compressed, with round bodies and elongated triangular dorsal and anal fins. This body shape allows them to hide among roots and plants, often on a vertical surface. Naturally occurring angelfish are frequently striped longitudinally, colouration which provides additional camouflage. Angelfish are ambush predators and prey on small fish and macroinvertebrates. All Pterophyllum species form monogamous pairs. Eggs are generally laid on a submerged log or a flattened leaf. As is the case for other cichlids, brood care is highly developed.
Fish-Tank-026_small_web.jpg

Angel Nursery

Common name: Freshwater Angelfish
Scientific name: Petrophyllum scalare
Care
Water- acidic (pH below 7.0)
Temp- ideally 80° F
Food- omnivore (mixture of frozen, live food and flakes)
Compatible with other nonaggressive fish

Breeding
Form monogamous pairs, usually for life
Female will lay eggs on smooth vertical surface (like the filter), and the male fertilizes them, sometimes up to 1200.
Both guard the eggs and care for the fry, and are generally very devoted parents

Attachments

• 2011-01-13 19.28.53.jpg
    2011-01-13 19.28.53.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 118
Common Name:Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Scientific Name: ANCISTRUS SP. GOLD (BRISTLENOSE)

This is my beautiful Albino Pleco. A great community fish, and algae eater. A very adventurous little Pleco, often found climbing driftwood or attached to the glass somewhere.

Size: Average adult size: 4-5" (10-13cm)
Tank: 36" recommended
Bottom feeder. Vegetarian. Feeds on catfish pellets, Algae wafers or cucumber.
PH: PH recommendation 6.5 to 7.5
Temperature: 72°F to 86°F (22°-30° C)

Attachments

• image-2170687547.jpg
    image-2170687547.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 115
Common name: Betta; Siamese Fighting Fish
Scientific name: Betta splendens

This is my baby, Phantom. I got him back in March and he's just the most awesome fish ever. I've owned bettas before, but this little guy has the most distinct personality. He recognizes my voice, my face and gets all excited whenever it's time to feed him. He'll eat bloodworms from my finger!

Care: At least 5 gallons is recommended for bettas; despite the pathetic little cups and bowls and vases you see them sold in, bettas like room to swim in. They're very hardy fish, but that should be no excuse for not having to do water tests, changes and tank maintenance. A dechlorinated, cycled tank is important. They're prone to fin rot and tears in their fins from stress or plastic objects in their tank, so silk or live plants are recommended. They generally like warm water around 80-83 degrees, or at least my particular fish does. Feeding should be done about two times a day in minimal amounts; keep in mind that their stomach is only as big as their eye. These fish do enjoy attention and an interesting environment (which is why they usually perish in tiny bowls) - try to rearrange the decorations every so often to give them a sense of change. Spend time talking or just sitting with them. With proper care, bettas can live 2 to 4 years, sometimes even 5.

Attachments

• betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom