Jungle val death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a local jungle val bunch close to my house so I brought it home and grew great for the first week and started melting which I knew was gonna happen but it melted all the way down to the bud with hardly any roots and all roots are dark brown. Is it completely dead or will it come back?

That doesn't look good. Vals can melt when they are transitioning from tank to tank, so hopefully that's all it is. Are you dosing excel by chance?

No I have a DIY co2 set up for this tank. It's my plant grow out tank. I can get more if it dies but hopefully it will come back. Would floating the bulb help by any chance?

Nah, it needs to be buried so it can root in. How did you remove it from the wild? Vals and other plants I've dealt with in nature tend to be anchored in extremely well, so digging them up usually requires a lot of effort or a shovel. If you just pulled them out by hand you may have irreparably damaged the root system.

Nah, it needs to be buried so it can root in. How did you remove it from the wild? Vals and other plants I've dealt with in nature tend to be anchored in extremely well, so digging them up usually requires a lot of effort or a shovel. If you just pulled them out by hand you may have irreparably damaged the root system.

It's in our local pond. It's rooted in silky mud so I slowly wiggled its way out. A few runners came out with it but I snipped those and put them back and let them grow on there on and get them later. It did good for a whole week but I did have a sheet of plexiglass fall onto the stems about half way down 3 days ago and bent them. Maybe it damaged them and that's why they melted? Not sure. Got to go get some more from there and try again I guess lol native plants usually seem to be more tougher for some reason

That could be it. Another thing is water params, blackwater type ponds tend to be insanely low pH compared to our tanks so the transition might be a pretty big shock. I've had issues transitioning some of the more sensitive native fish species so I could imagine it would be similar (to a lesser magnitude ofc) with some plants.

That could be it. Another thing is water params, blackwater type ponds tend to be insanely low pH compared to our tanks so the transition might be a pretty big shock. I've had issues transitioning some of the more sensitive native fish species so I could imagine it would be similar (to a lesser magnitude ofc) with some plants.

Yea I didn't think of that. The ph when I checked it last year was off the chart low. I may try to slowly acclimate the next time with the drip system or something. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom