Just a quickie about corys !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dude1982

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I think I am right in thinking this is a female albino cory catfish. I have 2 of these and they are identical, I have read that the males have a longer and more pronounced dorsal fin. Can anybody please give me anymore information on how to sex them please ?

Attachments

• image-1166586644.jpg
    image-1166586644.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 101
Haha I thought I would add this pic of her face on because I think she looks like a strange duck !

Attachments

• image-2842745695.jpg
    image-2842745695.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 73
How cute! I have 6 albino cories in my tank but I have no clue about sexing them. Someone more knowlegable will chime in soon enough.

The best way to tell if you have female or a male is to look at the belly. If the cory is resting on the bottom of the sand and the nose and tail doesn't touch the bottom, it's probably a female. Females are also larger than males of the same age. The females are much wider. The ventral fins (second pair of fins on the belly) will be cup shaped on the female so they can carry the eggs while spawning.
Hope this helps!

Thanks morgie. Here's another snap of her and it looks like she is resting on her ventral fins without her nose touching the bottom. So I guess I have 2 females in the tank then. I might take a trip to the lfs and try to introduce a male in there and see what happens.

Attachments

• image-1987208605.jpg
    image-1987208605.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 76
I got five Cories all at the same time and the male ended up being a LOT smaller than the females. I am unable to see any difference in fin or body, just size. They have laid eggs and while carrying the eggs you can see the difference as there is a pouch on the belly of the female.

Do you know what type of albino the cory is? Tim I agree with the females being bigger, I read it a lot in books, on the net and also my females are bigger. Yep, the belly should be fatter so that the nose doesn't touch the substrate. Are you planning on breeding them?

Thanks tim I'm trying to get a pic of their belly but it's kind of hard seeing that they are bottom feeders lol. I can deffinately see a darkening in the belly between the 2 bottom fins though, maybe it's the egg sack you just mentioned. I'll ask at the lfs (if they know but I doubt it lol) if they can choose a male for me !

Hi cleggat yeah I would love to breed these fish unfortunately I only know these are albino corys. We have had them around a year now and I still say these fish are one of the best buys because they Hoover the waste food off the bottom so better quality water I guess lol.

Yep, corys are great I have 3 of them (emerald, bronze and a schwartzi) well it's really 2 is you count the emerald as being a false cory, lovely little fellas, I have heard that albinos are more likely to breed I am unsure about this though :)

Back
Top Bottom