Just Behavior or an Illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenrisulfer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got an angelfish about two weeks ago and it remains at the bottom of the tank, only taking food from the substrate. I have not successfully owned an angelfish before, but have done a lot of research and I keep seeing that they primarily prefer the top of the tank and eagerly await food there. I am probably just being paranoid as the fish does eat and is very active, however I lost the other two angels who also did not go to the top. Neither of them were very interested in food at all though and were bought at a different location than the one remaining.

Additionally I got my first case of ich in like twenty years that I think was brought in on a plant. That being said, the only fish apparently affected is the gold angel in question, who developed the tale tale spots which have now gone away. I am obviously continuing treatment as I know that just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there! I'm wondering if maybe it is just the treatment...or if the fish is just kind of strange. I'm using Kordon Ich Attack, doing water changes, no filter going on to remove the medication, increased water temperature and aeration. Salt was not used as the tank also contains loaches, who I have been told are sensitive to it. Again, the treatment seems to be going wonderfully and I'm being very on top of it!

So, like I said, I'm probably being paranoid...but after the two other angels died for no apparent reason (all water parameters were and are good) I'm just being certain that there isn't something else I should be looking out for here.

Thanks!
-Shayla

I had a platy that did that. Went out for 1 hr, cane back, and TA-DA! Dead platy.

A bit more info will help:

Is the tank cycled? Have you tested params lately and what are they (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
Water change schedule (how much and how often)?
So the Angel is new, any other changes to the tank (filter, decor, etc)?
What size tank and what other fish are in there?
Temperature in the tank?
Do you have a filter?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom