Just bought this. Stay tuned...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The light.. Its good but why not just do some panorama strips? Dimmable, can add and remove strips, tons of different colors that all help with coral coloration, the list goes on. If you want me to get into all the technical jazz/voodoo, just ask :)

What corals are going in this tank, or are you not sure yet? For the tank "theme", maybe a sps only tank with a few acro crabs, sexy shrimp, and then a clown, citron, or yellow watchmen goby? Really light on stock, but with this youd be focused on the coral.

needmorecowbell said:
The light.. Its good but why not just do some panorama strips? Dimmable, can add and remove strips, tons of different colors that all help with coral coloration, the list goes on. If you want me to get into all the technical jazz/voodoo, just ask :)

What corals are going in this tank, or are you not sure yet? For the tank "theme", maybe a sps only tank with a few acro crabs, sexy shrimp, and then a clown, citron, or yellow watchmen goby? Really light on stock, but with this youd be focused on the coral.

I like the idea. I really wanted to go CRAZY with coral and I know the stock light won't cut it. I want ricordias, all kinds of tri color mushrooms and fuzzy shrooms. I wanted to try a monti, some open brains like I have in my BC29. Was thinking of some branching corals? But my main "theme" was to do a mushroom waterfall. Starting at the top I was gonna do all kinds and hopefully fill all the rock up.

These are some inspiring pictures that got me going.

The first 2 I REALLY like.

image-19855704.jpg

image-859581795.jpg

image-3483605685.jpg

If you don't want to go with seriously high powered lighting, which I'm expecting you wouldn't with a shroom waterfall.. Id do a seriatopora as the branching coral, shorter polyps, which is great in a nano this size. I don't know of you'll be able to do a brain, that's a big coral in a small tank. How bout a scolymia? They are smaller but very expensive. Look up bleeding apple scolymia, i think you'll like it.

needmorecowbell said:
If you don't want to go with seriously high powered lighting, which I'm expecting you wouldn't with a shroom waterfall.. Id do a seriatopora as the branching coral, shorter polyps, which is great in a nano this size. I don't know of you'll be able to do a brain, that's a big coral in a small tank. How bout a scolymia? They are smaller but very expensive. Look up bleeding apple scolymia, i think you'll like it.

Oh yeah! I know all about those lol! Yes very expensive! But.... Maybe worth it. I need this tank to ROCK!!

So do you think the light is a bit much? I looked into the strips and the jbj I love because it comes in white and has the arm like the stock light.

My wife would but it for my birthday :)

I don't think so, its not like it isn't dimmable or anything. I really like how it has a changeable color plate on the top. One thing that stands out with that fixture is that it has three types of LEDs, royal blue, cool white, and blue.. A rarity in fixtures in that price range. More types means more spectrum, which is good. I think you'll be happy with it, but I wouldn't boot the stunner strips yet.

Edit: about the three pics.. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to do that. Do you see how close they all are together? There would be chemical warfare galore. In the second pic, there was a monti almost touching some zoas/palys, that would not be good. Zoas are great though, I hope there will be some in this tank :)

Ok so after thinking about what corals are going in and the room I'm gonna need etc etc etc. I had to change my rock work so I have more surface are for corals. I know it may be boring now but just wait!!

:)

Believe it or not it took a me a long time to pick just the right rock out. I drove the guy crazy!! lol but hey!! Whatchagonnado?!?! :)

image-587323175.jpg

image-1954915122.jpg

image-3891059477.jpg

image-2526292345.jpg

image-1462798559.jpg

Looks good, i cant wait until you get some inverts and a fish or two!

gman42 said:
Looks good, i cant wait until you get some inverts and a fish or two!

Thanks! I wasn't sure about less rock but sometime less is more and I have more room now for corals. Can't wait!

Def keep it like it is. I get coral on rocks all the time and it can sometimes make things more...difficult. If not, thats why I have rubble in my 36 so they can be glued to something.

And btw, that has an amazing carve there in that rock. Nice shaded overhang that would be PERFECT for maybe a non-photosynthetic like a sun coral or maybe even a nem.

Ok still cycling. I have to top of almost every other day. My salinity I just tested is 1.024 from 1.026 why is that? What can I do to keep salinity stable?

I don't wanna add anything until I figure out what the deal is.

I use the digital refracto from Milwaukee.

Convict2161 said:
Ok still cycling. I have to top of almost every other day. My salinity I just tested is 1.024 from 1.026 why is that? What can I do to keep salinity stable?

I don't wanna add anything until I figure out what the deal is.

I use the digital refracto from Milwaukee.

Evaporation, get an ato

O wait it went down?

Yea it was 1.026 the other day. I added distilled water today and tested about an hour ago it was 1.024 I just added very little salt to the back chamber. Can I add a ATO to a 8 gallon? How does it work? Where would it go? Can you hide it? The tank is like the center piece on the living room on the end table so when people are on the couch they can view it up close.

Wouldn't I need plumbing and a sump? Seems like a lot for a 8 gallon sitting in plain view. Nowhere to hide that stuff.

Last edited:
As long as there is a place where evaporation happens, it can be done. It would be in the rear chamber for you. I bought mine from autotopoff.com, it's a great float valve, but it'd probably be too big for you. You might need to diy, but thats super easy. Youll need to buy an aqualifter pump no matter what. It can be hidden, you'll only have a cord and airline tube coming from the tank, the rest would be where you want it, wherever the reservoir is at.

Starchar said:
Or just keep some RODI water on hand and add a little bit each day. I had the same issue with my 12 gallon CAD tank.

Yea that's probably what I'm gonna do. I always have about 2-4/ 1 gallon jugs stored away just in case.

Back
Top Bottom