Just Curious if anyones tried this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if anywhere here has done a tank that holds North American fish i.e. panfish, bass, etc. I'm not even sure if its technically a legal thing you can do since catch and release laws and such. But I was just curious because in my mind it be a sweet setup to have a U.S. River/lake ecosystem tank. Or something similiar. Just throwing out the idea, feedback appreciated.

I myself would love to do a large FL tank with Bass, Bluegills, and Channel cats, but FL Fish & Wildlife would have my hind end in a sling. I reckon Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops get specialized permits to keep gamefish in their aquariums (which are awesome, BTW), and I am sure they are available, but highly expensive.

lol i did this with bluegills once. Although of course that was when i knew nothing bout this stuff so i overstocked and 2 died left me with 1 he lasted for a year. Lol i fed him worms. My first fish....ohhh such good times lol

Personally I agree with redfisher obviously. This would be an awesome idea in my mind, but unfortunately harvests aren't exactly legal just because you want to harvest something. Kind of hypocritical seeing as how some fish we buy are harvested from the ocean. man...that still would be sweet to have a little north american eco tank.

I too have thought of this and agree think it would be cool. I'm almost 100% that it's illegal tough, at least here in Michigan. Kind of stupid to me because they will allow you to kill the fish just not take one home to observe its beauty as a pet.

Exactly, it's either you keep it, eat it, or release it. Personally, as much as I like fishing, I don't eat a lot of fish. So, how my taking one or two fish and keeping them alive for pleasure/study in an aquarium, or the guy who is taking 12 to go fry up. Both serve a purpose, and mine keeps them alive.

You can buy them from companies that stock bass ponds and catfish ponds. But generally they won't let you buy just a few fish. The only other place I know you can get them in ones and two is:
Freshwater Animal: Supplies - Carolina Biological Supply Company

They have bluegill, blue cats, largemouth and they used to have channel cats. I have a LFS near me that sells both albino and regular morph channel cats so I'm thinking you can find them pretty easily.

I would love to set-up a North American tank with some of the darters you have but I would have to move country as they are illegal here. This is because they are classed as an invasive species which is a shame as they are some stunning fish.

Back
Top Bottom