Just got my first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw91290

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! Completely new here of the past few weeks and this new addiction is taking over as many of you probably know. About 2 months ago I purchased a used saltwater tank from Craigslist. I think I got a pretty killer deal on it and I couldn't turn it down after looking at prices at my local LFS. It's a 55 gallon with a nice black wooden stand comes with top, two lights, two penguin double wheel filters(sorry I didn't look at the model), 250 watt heater, uv sterilization kit, 30 lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of crushed coral, dead coral pieces, 4 whisper air bubblers (may use them for my freshwater tank), tons of tubing, gravel filter, the list goes on. What would be a good deal?! Just curious to what a steal would be to you guys to see if I made out well.
Back to the tank... I purchased it from a nice enough guy he took it down while I was there donated his fish to a friend(none showed any distress or illness) and we left about 6 inches of water in the bottom and left the filters alone to not disturb the bacteria and hauled it to my house. I gave everything some TLC set it all up and filled it up and let it cycle added a power head, some marine lights and let it run it's course for a few days. After the few days I tested for everything and it came back a-okay took it to my LFS and they backed up my results.... So it was time for some fish! I purchased 2 smaller chromis and a valentini puffer. So far so good the puffer and chromis are doing great they are eating frozen mysis once a day and krill for treats. After about a week I added two medium Ocellaris clowns and they are a great addition! I bought the clowns last night and am planning on feeding them tonight. Also I acclimated all fish with a drip... Seemed to work just fine. Am I doing all this right my levels are testing good and I dont want to get ahead of myself with all of this. I also don't want to overdo the bioload in my tank. Have I reached my limit or is there room for more later? I also do not plan on getting a fish until it gets bigger and then kicking it out of my tank so I'm wondering on adult sizes for my aquarium capacity... If I have more room feel free to throw out some suggestions as to good matches! Any kind of help or suggestions with my setup will help! Thanks!- Nick
PS I will try to upload pictures asap

Sounds good! Your not done with with, you could add a couple more. Have you though about gobies? Basslets? Small wrasse? And is this eventually gonna be a reef or FOWLR Ecuador that would help decide how many more fish you can get.

Hey Nick. Welcome to the hobby/addiction!! It sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding of the basics. Being mindful of your bioload, from the beginning is a great way to start.
Filtration should be adequate, if the system was running and healthy. Although don't know the sizes of the Penguins.
A good deal is all perspective, there are some steals on CL, if your lucky enough to find them. All together the setup sounds like a good start.
Be careful not to over feed, every day + treats is a little much, but OK if it is only a very small amount. Excess fish food is the leading cause of poor water quality, which then leads to algea outbreaks. Especially without a skimmer, I would watch your feedings.
As far as more stock, IMO you could add a few more smaller fish, 1 at a time preferably, like firefishes, gobies, or blennies, or smaller Wrasses. Not totally sure about these fish with a Valentini Puffer, but you can easily check for compatability. Clowns and Chromis would be fine with any of these though.
I believe a Valentini will harass clams and some inverts, though your lighting will not support clams unless very strong and it sounds like your lights are mainly for fish, but be wary of inverts with the puffer.
Anyway hope this helps, and have fun!
Toby

Awesome comments thanks guys! I got the whole setup for 100 bucks if you can believe it! Thanks I feed One cube at night for the 5 fish then I put one krill in every two days as a treat. Still checking water every day... I will try to post pictures in a little bit. What about a clean up crew? I don't know the model of the filters either I just know it's two penguin biowheels.... Each having two filtration wheels.

I think the Valentini Puffer is one of the least aggressive Puffers, but it still may pick at crabs, snails, and shrimp. Crabs and snails are cheap enough, that if he eats some, you could replace them as they diminish, as long as he didn't clean you out in a few days. I had a Valentini, for awhile, but my wife bought me a clam one anniversary, and I chose to get rid of the puffer. I don't recall whether he bothered my inverts or not, but I did have him in with a bunch of snails and crabs, I just knew he would chew on the clam. Shrimp too, they wont kill them with one bite usually, they will just pick at it, till it dies.
I would check its compatability with inverts at a reputable site like Liveaquaria. Com and see what they say, good luck, sounds like you'll do well, research and patience is almost all it is!

Back
Top Bottom