Just got new river rock, what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up some dirty river rocks at a building supply company and wanted to use them in my new aquarium. How should i clean these off? Someone suggested soaking them in bleach. If this is correct how long should they soak for and should i do anything after that to get the bleach off?

Thanks in advance

I picked up some dirty river rocks at a building supply company and wanted to use them in my new aquarium. How should i clean these off? Someone suggested soaking them in bleach. If this is correct how long should they soak for and should i do anything after that to get the bleach off?

Thanks in advance
I don't us. Bleach I just soak mine in boiling water for about 3 hours after scrubbing them with a clean scawing pad/sponge

I dont think you need to boil rocks that long I would think if you just scrubbed them, dropped them in boiling water for like 10 mins at max, took them out and scrubbed them with plain water they would be completely fine. all the bacteria on the rock will die beings none can penitrate the rock unlike driftwood so just letting it hit boiling water will kill any live harmful bacteria.

I don't us. Bleach I just soak mine in boiling water for about 3 hours after scrubbing them with a clean scawing pad/sponge

Can anyone tell me what this is and if i should throw it out? I found it on 2 of my rocks.

Attachments

• dirty rock.jpg
    dirty rock.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 168
Boil it, if its still on there discard it. looks to me like salt or something and may be removed when boiled.

Back
Top Bottom