Just had babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph.lam0304

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platy had babies yesterday!!! About 40 of them. I've been doing nothing but staring at my tank ever since.I have a 30 gallon with 3 platys 2 mollies 2 albino cories, 3 neon tetras and 4 danio glo fish. I just bought 3 more platys to get the right male to female ratio and one of my females that I bought was pregnant and she dropped her fry yesterday morning. I was able to catch most of them. I have the 3 new fish and the babies in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. The babies are in a net breeder. I woke up this morning and found the mommy fish stuck between the breeder and the tank. It looked like she was trying to get to the babies but thank God she didn't. Now it looks like the other female in that 10 gallon might be pregnant too! Anyone with any advice would be great! I'm feeding the babies frozen cyclops. I'm loving this new hobby! It started out as a 5 gallon tank for my kids and turned into something big!

:) Congratulations! Ensure that they are properly cared for since fries are very sensitive.

Although I only had kribensis fry, I made sure I fed them at least once a day. I fed egg yolk, baby brine shrimps and hikari first bites. :) Congrats again!

My friend had Platy fry once and she said that an aquarium owner said to feed them 4 times a day, so that's what I've been doing. I hope that's not too much!

I fed 3-4 times when they were young :p, it's definitely not too much. But just make sure you do not overfeed because it would be for the water!

Feed until they stop eating or if there is too much food on the floor. I made the mistake of doing that and had an algae boom :(

Ok. I definitely think I need to cut down a little on each feeding. There's so many of them I'm scared of not feeding them all.

Back
Top Bottom