Just lost our betta, how do I keep it from happening again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancechauffeur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Betta. Initially looked like fin rot, but progressed to lethargy, lack of appetite, and bloating

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20, pH 6.6, temp 76-78

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 5 gallon, cycled for almost a year

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number Mini Bow Quiet Flow filter (came with the aquarium)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? There was only the one Betta

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Routinely did 50% water change once a week. After fish became sick doing about 25% daily. Always used a gravel vac.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had the fish about a year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nothing new

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Always fed Top Fin Betta Bits plus occasional blood worms

Buddy our betta died this morning after about 2 weeks of slowly getting worse. At first I thought it was fin rot and treated with tetracycline and increased water changes, but he began eating less and less and became more and more lethargic. I added aquarium salt for about 5 days and stress coat, then tried one more tetracycline treatment but he began showing signs of fluid accumulation. He never had any lesions on his body (except for ratty looking fins). This morning he was gone.

Any good guesses about what could have happened? We want to get another fish, but I am not sure how to best clean the aquarium. Do I take it down completely and start from scratch with a new cycle? I just don't want to infect another fish.

Thanks!

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Second, though not the most experience fishkeeper here, it sounds to me like you did everything right, and did all you could.

Sometimes our fish die for reasons we will never come to understand.

As to whether to rebuild from scratch and recycle the tank, if you don't keep feeding the tank ammonia while waiting to get your new fish, your bacterial colony will die off and that will pretty much necessitate recycling either way.

Were it me? I'd be in the 'better safe than sorry' camp and tear the tank down, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck, and again, sorry for your loss.

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Second, though not the most experience fishkeeper here, it sounds to me like you did everything right, and did all you could.

Sometimes our fish die for reasons we will never come to understand.

As to whether to rebuild from scratch and recycle the tank, if you don't keep feeding the tank ammonia while waiting to get your new fish, your bacterial colony will die off and that will pretty much necessitate recycling either way.

Were it me? I'd be in the 'better safe than sorry' camp and tear the tank down, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck, and again, sorry for your loss.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom