Just need to confirm something about substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a tank that used to be planted but I decided to remove the plants because the fish wouldn't let them take root. They just rearranged as they saw fit, which is fine, lesson learned.

I have planted tank substrate still in the take which over the past 2 years put root tabs in a number of times. All those nutrients, with no plants to take them in, equals bad water quality for the fish now, correct?

I should take it out and put inert gravel or sand in there, right?

Just need to confirm my thoughts with other aquarists.

Thanks!

What kind of substrate? Stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

Hello Sm...

There's no need to disturb the bottom material. All the organic material that collects on the bottom will dissolve in the tank water. To remove it, just change out the water every week. I remove and replace about half weekly. This will guarantee stable water conditions for the fish.

Pretty simple.

B

Hmmm.. i was going to say give it a good deep clean, get as much residual nutrients and such right out of there.. on a side note you could try anubias and java fern tied off to decoration and structure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this the sand grain sized eco complete or the gravel sized eco complete? What root tabs did you use?

Most store bought root tabs have almost no nitrogen in them. If that's the case then feel free to ignore them because they aren't going to impact your water quality at all.

If it's the sand eco complete, I would also ignore them.

If it's the gravel eco complete and you used something like osmocote root tabs, then I would work to clean it out although that will be a bit of a chore.

Back
Top Bottom