Just not my Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all today has been very bad for me and its still not over, so I just poured myself a glass of vodka and sat down to tell you all about it.
It started this morning when I got a call from a guy I was gonna buy a 75 gallon set up from (hood, stand, tank, power compacts, sump, the works!)to tell me he sold it to someone else. Later I was outside painting an iron fence when I spilt the paint all over the sidewalk. ( its never coming off)
So now Im just looking at my tank trying to relax thinking man all the live rock looks so beautiful the water is so clear my fish look happy every thing is perfect, and then I see them....Aiptasia, but wait it gets worse. After dosing these things like 5 times I still keep finding more, some of the same ones I dosed before and alot of new ones. There are probably 8 total so I break out my bottle of Mrs. wages and RODI water , the bottle is 1.7 oz, I fill up my syringe and start dosing them. Little lesson here so pay attention! I set the bottle on top of the tank where the light is good so I could fill the needle, as I kill those vermin I was on the last one when I knocked the bottle over RIGHT IN MY TANK! it was like slow motion as I saw this cloud of death fill the tank. I shouted OH *$%#^&*&(**^$#@!@# (to many explicits)and grabbed the fish net (still dont know why) to maybe try to grab this stuff out(didnt work) So now im thinkin the only thing to do is change the water, so I run into the bathroom where I have 15 gallons of rodi water sitting in jugs in the tub. I grab the jugs and lift them out of the tub fill two with salt and then go for the third as I set (not drop) it down for some reason the bottom decides to break out. Now I have 5 gallons of water on my bathroom floor,its like and inch or two deep (small bathroom) and all I can think is #%$!**#^$*%()%&%$^$($^ what about my fish, what about my floor ,what about the apartment below mine. I have to stop with the fish grab a towel and a giant sponge and soak up the water. Now im down to 10 gallons so I shake them up and grab my python and start to drain. As im draining out some of the water I think well at least I can vacuum out some of the detris and such on the bottom, while I vacum I find the corpse of one of my dwarf red tip hermit crabs, and it is a corpse not a molt! there is meat on the tail and such like it was eaten.(wondering if my scarlet where getting revenge???) If you have read my other posts you know about my scarlet hermit crab deaths and my missing damsel which leads me to belive maybe I have a mantis! all that and that constant snapping I hear. So as I pull the body out and examine it I notice a sound coming from the bathroom????? I turn to look and to my horror the sink that the python is hooked up to is over flowing so yep you guessed it another inch of water all over the bathroom floor. As I let go of the python running to turn off the water in the sink the python falls out of the tank so now all the water in the hose and mouth of the python is on the floor in the other room now (thank god the bathroom is tile and my fish room is hardwood floors). After I cleaned up that mess I added the 10 gallons of water to the tank and started filling the 5 gallon jugs again with water. Now the mix I used was just Mrs. wages and rodi water but I had alot of lime in there about 2 tablespoons. My immediate concern is are my fish gonna be pickled? I know my ph will rise and my alkalinity will drop. but what else can I do right now? any and all advice will be appreciated. So I hope you all learned a lesson here, NEVER I repeat NEVER put anything on your tank that you dont want in it, and always have at least 10 gallons of water ready to go. God I hope nothing dies.

Sorry for your trouble. I have learned to use 5 gal buckets, not jugs, they hold up better. I don't know anything about the lime but someone here will be able to help.

I was gonna buy lottery tickets tonight but with the luck I have had today I think ill wait till tomorrow

Maybe youv'e had all the bad luck you can for 1 day, go ahead and get your tickets. :mrgreen:

Advice...hmmm....finish your vodka and have another! I'd buy the lottery ticket - sounds like you have nothing but good luck left. (don't drink and drive though :!: )

Sounds like you learn things the same way I do...the hard way. :wink:

Turn out your lights, this will help keep the ph from rising too high, I think, you've done a water change, not much else you can do.

Let me tell you about what happened to me Tues nite as I was getting ready to go to bed.

I auto top off with kalk, I had just refilled my resevoir (10g) with fresh kalk and plugged the float switch back in and come in the be3droom to surf the web a bit. about 10 minutes later I hear some dripping, I think one of the kids left the kitchen sink dripping, when it doesn't stop after a minute, I go to investigate. You guessed it, it's SW + kalk dripping on my carpeted floor, and my tank is milk. it took over 2 gallons of fresh kalk before it started to overflow. Never mind the change in salinity, when I tested the water the ph was 9.8, I had no SW mixed and my fish were dying and the corals were dying. I've got about 1500 bucks in this 20g tank, and I'm watching the livestock die. Well, I mixed 5 gallons of really saline SW as quick as I could, did a quick waterchange (it's all the salt I had) and replaced the carbon and added an additional mechanical filter. I lost nothing, pure luck, I'm sure, but still, don't sweat your 1.7 oz too bad ;)

Seems like bad luck is running around bothering us all, Tues was also a bad day for me, a guy showed up with a wrecker to repo 2 of my vans. :roll: Then to top it off he took the wrong one. So he had to bring one back today and pick up the right one. :roll:

were are u at ?? i have water (35 gallons) if needed ! i can run some to you ! what size tank ! i think you will be ok to be honest !

were are u at ?? i have water (35 gallons) if needed ! i can run some to you ! what size tank ! i think you will be ok to be honest !

That just goes to show what kind of people we have here. "I'm flyin on Air......." ROTFLOL

yea its all good if ya knew me ya know i have a great sense of humor !! :)
just like to help people thats me ! i stop and help people all the time for many different reasons ! i believe good things happen to good people ! i was raised that way and it stuck :) just ran a bag of southdown to madmanmac tonight and holding 2 more for him when he comes back up from texas ! took me about hour and a half ! my girlfriend dont understand me sometimes and gets mad but she has to deal with it i guess or go away i tell her ! funny story was out on the boat and took a co-work and stopped for lunch ! him and his wife started up-chuckin 5 min after i stopped so i said well we have to keep movin lol and at that point his wife wanted to head back ! so on the way back i see 2 guys on the side of the river so i turn around and ask them if they needed anything (mind ya the sun was just starting to set 8 ish) they say yes were out of gas and need a tow and stated that like 20 boats passed them ! they also launched at the same place i did ! so i towed them @ trolling speed !! well we got to the ramp at midnight !! and thru out the trip some of the people on my boat were getting irritated by now and wanted me to just let the rope lose and go !! i say nooooo way what comes around goes around !! well ya know not 2 weeks later i break down (fuel pump)out in the middle of lake michigan and the first boat stopped :) sorry for the long post but little insite into my person :)

Steve thanks for the offer you are a great man but I think ill be ok. Reefrunner thanks for the lights out advice I didnt think of that. Kudos to both of you.

I certainly dont wish anything but great things to all of you that have had bad weeks or days....AND Im hoping that because I read this, or the other people that read this - dont end up with bad things happening to them as well!! Maybe we should delete this post!! :lol:

Sorry to hear abotu your bad day.

I haven't had much luck this week either. Two days ago while trying to get rid of the pinched mantle on my clams I did a FW dip as recomended by some on Clamsdirect and RC I lost a Pohnpei maxima, guess it was too weak and didn't survive the dip and my crocea is not looking good either. Then yesterday for some reason my porcupine puffer killed my Harlequin tusk. Yesterday we got in a really cure paif of frogfish that I was planning on getting but they both had air trapped in them. I was hoping today they'd look better but one still has air trapped and they both looked very stressed out. They were only about the size of a quater and were the warty sking kind, yellow with cool red fins but today they were almost white.

I have been waiting for someone to ask me that question! kudos to you. It is a celestial goldfish, although I am a saltwater guy I thought the picture was really cool so I made it my avatar. It kinda looks like ET lol.

Did I metion I almost fell down the stairs and killed myself? I also burned myself BBQing and I have heart burn right now.

I guess this is hell week! You can see my luck with the post below. Got back from a great 2 weeks of diving bliss in Cozumel to find my fish ready to kick the bucket.....nice. Good luck all.
Somebody find us a 4 leaf clover.....huh?! 8)

Back
Top Bottom