just some general prefferance questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ostrichkiller

Aquarium Advice Activist
i can't say enough how much i love this sight and all the people on it for being so helpful. especialy you alli and reef. :p

just for the sake of asking, what does everyone prefer more, snails or algea eaters?

live plants or fake?

drift wood or plastic look alike?

nicest fish for community fresh water tank?

petsmart or petco or LFS?

thanks all just kinda curious what everyone thinks don't have to reply if you don't want :)

Snails AND SAEs
Live plants
Real driftwood,
Most any fish in the Tetra family

Definatley snails as they are free and they can go in smaller tanks that others can't except ottos.

Live plants help keep the water cleaner
Real drift wood makes the water more acidic but is good for growing java fern on.

Best community fish? Depends on what type of communtiy you want adn how much tank space you have. Tetras are generally the best , but platies are great as well.

Depends on tank size but generally no. They will probably grab and eat the occasional fish, esp neons.

Plus the crabs need to get out of the water occasionally so you will have to make a tower out of the water of something. If you don't then the crab will probably escape the tank itself or else it will drown and die.

If you want a little scavaneger then look at ghost or ammano shrimp. They are small (1 inch or so) and will scavenge the bottom looking for bits of food.

I prefer oto,CAE and ghost shrimp for solving algea problem.

Planting Live plant in my tankas they are more beautiful and also act as filter in the tank.

Driff wood as they also release tanin to tank.

Best fish:- Neon (but they are crappy), Black phantom tetra, RAM, rummy nose.

I prefer fake plants, since they are much easier to take care of, and I don't have to worry about my goldfish uprooting them or tearing them apart.

I use real driftwood, but only because my pleco needs it (when i find him a new home, i'll probably send the driftwood with him).

I've had hit or miss luck with fish stores...I come here for advice now, and then whatever's closest to purchase (the petcos near me take good care of their fish, even if they aren't the most knowledgable...they do mean well!)

ostrichkiller said:
does anyone know is it safe to put a fresh water crab in the same tank as tiger barbs and neon tetras?

Speaking only on Fiddler Crabs here.

My crabs have not EVER grabbed any of the fish in my tank, They don't even screw with other bottom tank fish [ Like my CAE and Peacock Eel, Or my Ghostshrimp for that matter ]

I am only speaking on my crabs and fish, but I would think if they caught ANY fish it would most likely be a sick, or already dead fish.

Thank you ostrichkiller :) I'm flattered.

Lessee...

Snails. Ewwww, I LOATHE them! I actually bought my clown loaches cause I couldn't get rid of em. Now I have an 8g QT tank with snails in it for loach snacks LOL I made the mistake of buying a plant and just putting it in the tank. I wound up with an infestation of nuisance snails, who proceeded to eat my plants, poop all over and cover the glass. I find they do a crappy job of getting rid of algae unless you like to look at your fish thru clear trails in the algae cover LOL I totally prefer algae eaters, and there enough different types and sizes to accomodate most tanks. Some people like em, and they do aerate the substrate but...I hate slimy creatures like snails n slugs.

Live plants. I only use fake in my QT tank (cause I can sterilise em if I need to). Plus, faster growing live plants don't collect algae the way my plastic ones do.

I've a plec, so real driftwood (they need the lignin in the wood for digestion), but also cause I like the way it looks.

Overall I prefer real stuff. Everything in my tank is real, from the sand or gravel, to the driftwood, plants and stone (I use slate). Some people lurve to do themes, or use skulls n castles; just not me. I'm more interested in looking at the fish then the decor.

Omg, there are SO many fish to chose from for a community its hard to say. I have angelfish, clown loaches and a plec in my 55g. My planted 10g has 2 dwarf gouramis, a school of cardinals (I have 2; need more), 2 otos, a few cherry shrimp and a bamboo shrimp. My personal favs are angels.

I buy most of my fish from a lfs; but it took me forever to find a decent one. I have only bought 2 fish from Petsmart and they were a pity purchase LOL they had 2 pathetic angelfish in one of their tanks and I took em home cause I felt so bad for em. I didn't think they would survive, just wanted to give em a little quality of life. They are still with me; one is almost adult size already, the other is a midget and is the smallest fish in the 55g LOL It does depend on your local Petsmart/Petco. Some are great, some aren't. Same with lfs. The one nearest me is gross. I drive 45 mins to the decent one, and I have yet to find a great one.

"Overall I prefer real stuff. Everything in my tank is real, from the sand or gravel, to the driftwood, plants and stone (I use slate). Some people lurve to do themes, or use skulls n castles; just not me. I'm more interested in looking at the fish then the decor. "

There is fake sand and gravel? LOL :D

Algae eater and ghost shrimp -- only they don't last long in the tank
I'd like real plants -- only they don't last long in the tank so I have to settle for fake
Plastic drift wood -- just cause that's what I have
Um I guess I cant' say nicest fish since I like tigar barbs, blue lobsters, eels, and buenes aires tetras.
Local fish store cause I've had problems with petco and petsmart

Back
Top Bottom