Just started a 40g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, did a 20% water change about 4-5 days ago.. everything still said 0 ..this is good right?

also last night i added sum water(mixed w/ reef salt) bc salinity was 1.023 wanted to get it at 1.025

also abt the y tang.. its only about 2 - 2.5 inches... is that still bad for a 40g?

i will end up selling it back to store or friend if its not good..

thx for the reply!

The tang is definitely not for a 40 gallon. It's not good for the fish and tangs are sensitive to disease as it is. Just skip the tang and we'll pick some other cool stuff for ya. :)

The lowest my trates get is about 5 and thats if I am really on my pwc's. How long has your tank been up?

it cycled for a good month and 5 days. i started to add fish the beginning of march (the 2ed)
:cool:

Hmm I'm not sure why you would have zero nitrates but if you do, excellent job.

What fish do you already have? Or was the earlier post what you actually have?

He can have zero nitrates and a cycled tank. My 55 which is about 4 months old has had zero nitrates for the past 6 or so weeks, which I suspect is from large water changes

1 tang(2-3 minches) / 1 bi-color shrimp (2-3 inches) / 1 small hermit crab / 1 turbo snail (decent size) / 1 purple firefish (3 inches) / 2 tiny blue damsels (1.5 inch each) / 1 algae blenny (3-4 inch)

i recently just added a toad stool leather ( it has a cpl clear strings comming from it sort of netting) and 3 zoo corals (all on LR) 2 of them have very psycodelic colors (orange/green/purple) and one is blueish green)

abt 30pds lr., goin got get more later today and maybe redo my set up of teh LR ..question abt the LR set up .. i read that the LR should be 5-6 inches from teh galss (which is what i have it placed now) is this true? b/c i see tons of ppl's pics with their LR against the galss.....

LR being away from glass just makes it easier on you, you can clean the glass behind and you can allow a better flow along the back to prevent any dead spots along with the sand bed being easier to clean. You also have a higher risk of some rock taking a tumble and cracking you tank. You can do what ever you want to do, I have a piece that is against the glass and I can't clean around it but It really does not bother me. I don't really see the point in having the tang in the tank. Now he might seem fine because he is small but that will change and at some point SOON you will end up having to get rid of the tang or you will be scooping him off the sand bed with a net.

OK, thx

quick question.. i have live sand ( white form petco)

do you syphen it? i heard sumwhere that you dontsyphem live sand bc it gets sucked up ????? i honeslty havent touched the sand since i started the tank - the fish do stir it up a lil here and their..

Back
Top Bottom