Just started my first aquarium 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM1101

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 different plants types, with 1 molly, 5 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, and 6 platys. (2 male, 4 female) Am I on the right track here or can anyone offer any input or advice? I just changed out 3 galons of water today and did my 2nd water test and everything is right where it should be with the exception of hard water, which I hear isn't really an issue.

Attachments

• 20170819_220742.jpg
    20170819_220742.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 98
You will have baby platies. Watch the male platies so that they don't get into it too much or so that the dominant male doesn't intimidate the non-dominant male. (May or may not be a problem.) With the siphon you have on that filter, if you want to keep the babies, you might want to add an intake sponge. I like intake sponges anyhow because they increase the surface area for beneficial bacteria. You will probably end up needing to add root tabs, but I'm not a plant person, I just sort of put them in and somehow mine end up living. (And taking over some of my tanks.)

Thank you. Yes we had babies the first night and they were food for about 4 days for the other fish. I will look into getting a sponge for the filter, I like that idea. And the plants so far have all grown nicely. The horn wort has gone crazy and I've already taken trimmings from it 4 times. My goal is to have a nice little bush in the back left corner of the tank.

hornwort can end up being very messy -- I have that and there are needles everywhere! It does grow well, though.

Newbie question- In my planted tank, will the gravel need replaced or taken out and cleaned in a strainer periodically? I know some of the more heavily planted areas will be hard to clean and I will get what I can vacuuming once a week when I do about a 4 gallon change. I am still new to aquariums and dove right in after about 4-6 hours of research. Love this app! Look forward to hearing all of your suggestions and input!

Newbie question- In my planted tank, will the gravel need replaced or taken out and cleaned in a strainer periodically? ..,

Not needed if the plants you keep have roots in the substrate. Meaning, if you are keeping Java fern, Anubias, and mosses, then you could/should vacuum the substrate periodically. Otherwise, you risk damaging the plant's root and removal of vital nutrients from the substrate.

Just replanted the horn wort in the back of my tank and did a light vacuuming and found a couple dozen babies in my bucket. So now I have them in a small bowl with rocks and a few pieces of horn wort. Powdered up some flakes for them to eat for now. Not sure if they live if they will be in a new tank or used for feeders yet. I've had babies before but these are waaayyy smaller than the ones I've previously seen.

There is one hanging off the rock. There's at least a dozen in there for sure.

Attachments

• 20170821_125010.jpg
    20170821_125010.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom