Just wanted to introduce myself!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking at the Dr fosters and smith website they have a sale on 45pounds of fiji for 79.99 I paid 99.99 over a month ago for my 46 gallon bow and I thought that was a good deal. you should check it out the price is great. And cycling your tank with uncured live rock is a good idea IMHO. At first I couldn't figure out how to make them look good sitting in my tank but after I rearranged my rocks about 15 times I got it to look perfect and with the sand its beautiful. I have the 36" Coralife lunar aqualight on my 46g bow and the rock is starting to turn purple with a decent amount of coraline algae. I also got nature's ocean marine sand (sugar fine white sand) at Petco for 7.99 for a 10pound bag much cheaper than online when you factor shipping.

Melonbob,

I see the fixture you have available for around $45.00 online (36" T-5 Aqualight 2x21W Double). You can't get much cheaper than that, and light will get you to the point when you are ready for better lights. The bulbs need to be replaced every year anyway (maybe 18 months on T5).

LFS would not take the 36" coralife back, so we will be using it for the time being. My next question, when we upgrade, would we be able to use it as a second canopy?

LFS would not take the 36" coralife back, so we will be using it for the time being.

Wow... they wouldn't take an unused (probably still in the box?) fixture back for credit?

I wouldn't feel too bad about buying hardware online instead of from them, if that's the way they're going to treat you. They've got to know you're at the beginning of a big $$ curve, and to not give you a break is pretty short sighted of them, in my opinion.

It was used, about 10 hrs total on it. I understand the whole used bulb thing, but I was expecting at least store credit towards a new fixture. Like you said, this is the start of a big curve

Melonbob said:
LFS would not take the 36" coralife back, so we will be using it for the time being. My next question, when we upgrade, would we be able to use it as a second canopy?

It would probably take up too much space when you upgrade to a better fixture, but if it fit and you liked the way it looked you could use it as actinic set on a timer for a dusk/dawn effect (it comes on an hour before the main lights then turns off an hour after the main lights turn off).

I can't believe that price on LR! Of course, they don't ship to Canada, I doubt anyone can because it is livestock....not sure how that works. Nobody wants to smuggle some across the border for me do they? lol

I was dinking around on the net and found a site that does ship to Canada. Tampabaysaltwater.com From my understanding they take base rock and place into the ocean where after time it becomes live rock. They are rock farmers. they don't have prices listed on their site I think you have to e-mail them for a quote. hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom