Juvenile Platys dying out of the blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as you all may remember, last weekend my fish got ich. Two almost baby platys I got for free from a fish store. The 1st one was fine, ate, I went to the gym and came back and he was dead. Fast forward a week, ich is all gone, temp is still at 86 and Angel fish and Endlers are doing great. 2nd Platy was swimming all over and ate today, but I just found him dead and my large snail eating him.

Tested water, no ammonia, no Nitrite, and around 20 Nitrate. Did a small water change with Prime. Everyone else looks great, so why did these two platys go from eating and swimming to dead so quickly? Is it because they are soo young? are Platys sensitive in nature? Im so confused.

I'm still relatively new to the hobby but I have some platies.
I wouldn't say that platies are sensitive. Mine have been quite hardy... What about your water's pH? GH?
Platies typically like hard, alkaline water and angel fish typically prefer more acidic, softer water.

Keep us posted,
Take care,
Michelle

I have very hard water and its very alkaline. I was thinking of just buying my water from the local fish store who sells 5, 10 gallon jugs of their own water just for fish. Sure sounds like a pain in the rear to carry those jugs around though.

Hi ppo,

Do you know what your pH/GH are offhand?

Also, I'm kind of wondering why the fish store wanted to get rid of the platies...

Happy fishkeeping!
Michelle

They are high. My ph is above 8 and super alkaline. Oddly enough my angel fish seems the best off(and the snails).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom