Kalk or Limewater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I just got a Kent 2.5 gal dosing kit.

I want to dose 24/7 due to evap. wich is about 1 gal per day. Ca is around 400 right now.. Is there a way to calculate the drip rate.. or is it not that important? 1 tsp Kalk per gal ro/di water over 24 hr period ? Ive heard some people speed up evap to add more Limewater to there system, what is the advantage? Can you add too much Limewater? Does it affect Macro alge in sump/fuge?

I know alot of questions, but its new to me :) Thanks

To calculate the drip rate I belive you would need to know how many drips make up a gal of water so you could then find out how many drips per sec or how many sec's between drips so you drip 1 gal in 24 hours. Honestly it does not mater if you drop 1 gal in 4 hours or 8 hours.

If you add to much kalk to your system your calcium will eventually get to a saturation point where it will precip out of soultion (some refer to this as snowing in your tank). You should only add as much kalk as you need to replace the calcium that is used up by your system. If you can maintain 400-450ppm levels naturally with just water changes then you honestly dont need kalk but if your finding that you need to dose calcium additives almost daily to maintain that level then a kalk drip will be a good solution. Again the amount you need to add will depend on your tank's intake of calcium so with some experementation the first week keeping a good eye on the calcium levels as well as your alkinity you can find a good medium to the amount of kalk to water and the amount of kalkwater dripped over a 24 hour period.

Back
Top Bottom