kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PatM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to try dosing kalkwasser as I've heard the results are better than simply dosing calcium. Is this the stuff to mix? The hardware store said this is the same as builders lime but I'm unsure. Also, is it correct that the proper mix will read 900 mg/l of calcium? And is there a good way to determine your dosage? I've heard that you just add kalkwasser instead of your top off water, monitor Ca levels and adjust accordingly. Any good tips?

Attachments

• chb.jpg
    chb.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 222
Kalkwasser, in my opinion, is the best way to maintain calcium levels in a reef aquarium (besides of course a calcium reactor). Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide. I'm not sure if builder's lime is the same. Many people add kalkwasser as their make up water; however, if the inhabitants in your tank do not use the calcium as fast as you are adding it, then the calcium level in the tank will rise. Be sure to add the kalkwasser slowly to avoid a drastic increase in pH. Also, if the kalkwasser is added too quickly a "snowstorm" can occur. This is when calcium carbonate actually falls out of solution. Get a good test kit and test your calcium level regularly.

Not sure about the builders lime. But Pickling lime from the grocery store is the same chemically and is a heck of a lot cheaper than kalkwasser from LFS.

Joanne

What hasn't been said here yet is that Kalk is used because you are adding BOTH Ca AND Alk at the same time. So it isn't just about your Ca level....it's about maintaining both Ca/Alk levels.

You should monitor both Ca/Alk to ensure that you don't over dose the Kalk.

Kalk is Calcium Hydroxide...the Calcium part is obvious..the Hydroxide (OH) part combines with atmospheric CO2 to produce carbonate alkalinity.

I was unsuccessful trying to subsitute Kalk for evaporated water. That just wasn't precise enough and my Ca/Alk usage wasn't that high. It is really easy to over-dose in that situation.

If you going to use it to replace your evaporated water, I suggest that you start with a mix that contains almost NO Kalk and very slowly increase the concentration of the mix while measuring the Ca/Alk. Eventually, you'll find the concentration that holds your values steady.

Yeah, I've been using Seachem's Reef Plus and Seachems calcium for over two years with great results, but I've been told that Kalk is the way to go. My Ca and Alk are both in check and I test just about everything you can twice a month. I mainly want to reduce costs a little bit and the Seachem Calcium seems expensive since I've found numerous articles on making Kalk from calcium hydroxide bought at the hadware store with good results. I'm just not sure if this is the right stuff, but a 25 lb. bag was less than $10.

Go to Mrs. Wages website and you can order food grade Calcium Hydroxide, it has fewer impurities and is only $1.89 for a large can. I bought 5 for about 15 bucks including shipping and it has worked wonders.

I did find a website of someone last night, though I lost it and don't keep my history, of someone saying they were using this regularly, though I'm still a little unsure. They did have beautiful tank photos and it was updated recently. The websit on this stuff says it's completely safe for gardens with edible plants so I have to think that it's pretty safe.

The standard pickling lime has proven itself many times over to reefers around the country. When you can buy a can of pickling lime for less than $2, you really have to ask yourself at which point it is not worth the risk to save any more money.

Thanks grimlock3000, point well taken. Just trying to take it one step further ya know? Basically all thats in that stuff is calcium and magnesium, both of which are added to a reef anyhow. I like to try to pioneer new ideas, and I've used this stuff before to adjust ph in the wifes garden and eaten the veggies that come out of it so I have my doubts about it being harmfull. Maybe I'm just cheap! :lol:

I think the real issue between the builder's lime and the pickling lime is one of quality control. THE pickling lime is intended for food products and therefore probably has a different set of standards for safety. I would be more confident about the level of purity of the food product.

Joanne

Thanks all for the advice, I think I will stick to my normal regimen of Seachem products, since my results are great, for the time being. I still want to explore farther though, because the hydrated lime is considered safe for vegetable gardens I wonder what standards of quality control are for it. Does the pickling lime offer a list of ingredients on the back? If so could someone post, I would like to compare. Here's more about the chemistry of hydrated lime if anyone is interested...or is it just me? http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

Back
Top Bottom