KcDragonfish13's 2gal Pico Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcdragonfish13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I just got a new Aqueon Evolve 2 and decided to turn it into a pico reef. I just have some questions before i go spendin' :) . I put some sand from my biocube in it ( about an inch) along with a little water from the cube and water I freshly mixed to jump start the cycle.

For filtration I was thinking of using carbon, and some live rock rubble in the extra area, and possible a hang-on refugium. Do I really need a fuge? I will put some live rock into it later either from my lfs and a few peices also from the biocube.

I think I want to upgrade lighting to a wavepoint LED clamp fixture. Has anyone had experiense with these fixtures? I want to be able to support lps corals and a few sps. Is the stock aqueon LED fixture good enough for corals?

Heres the tank after I set it up :D
epusa8a3.jpg

Thanks for any responses, and I look forward to what this pico can become!

Not real sure about the back of that particular tank but I bet inTank makes a media rack for it. I would not put rubble back there though, it will most likely trap detritus. I would skip the fuge to, with picos wc's will be your best friend, I have. 3G pico at work and I just change out a red solo cups worth of water every day. It's a pretty easy tank to run. For lighting I've not seen those, but I am using a coral compulsion par30 and it works great

The stock lighting is only good enough for softies pretty much. The wavepoint clip on fixtures i have been looking at as well, the 8watt one might do the trick. Not sure if it will support sps though.

Thanks, guys. The back of the tank is pretty weird, though. It has only a tiny little ledge for carbon and a small area for the pump. The ledge covers half of the back, so I cant put cheato, but I thought I could use some live rock rubble or bio balls.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Following along! I did a 2 gallon evolve once and an 8 gallon evolve... They were my favorite tanks by far!! I also did a small daily water change, about a cup a day, and never had any issues

Following along! I did a 2 gallon evolve once and an 8 gallon evolve... They were my favorite tanks by far!! I also did a small daily water change, about a cup a day, and never had any issues

How did u set up your 2 gallon?

I used all stuff from my 40b.... I also used water from that for my water changes..... I used the pump and back compartment like it was, but cleaned it once a week. Replaced the light with a led clip on from aqua traders..

I used all stuff from my 40b.... I also used water from that for my water changes..... I used the pump and back compartment like it was, but cleaned it once a week. Replaced the light with a led clip on from aqua traders..

What corals do u have with that light?

epapemad.jpg
ataja5aj.jpg
Update- I put some live rock, a snail, and hermit in there. I am already growing algea.... from the biocube, I had an algea issue in the biocube and its starting to grow in here from the sand...yay :/ . Btw, my hydrometer says the salinity is 1.018-1.019 . Is this too low for the hermit and snail? Theyre in there mainly for cycling perposes, but I would still hate to see them die. For now I am doing daily/weekly cup water changes. Im keeping the stock light for now, but when I focus on corals, im gonna upgrade it. Thanks for your responses!

epapemad.jpg
ataja5aj.jpg
Update- I put some live rock, a snail, and hermit in there. I am already growing algea.... from the biocube, I had an algea issue in the biocube and its starting to grow in here from the sand...yay :/ . Btw, my hydrometer says the salinity is 1.018-1.019 . Is this too low for the hermit and snail? Theyre in there mainly for cycling perposes, but I would still hate to see them die. For now I am doing daily/weekly cup water changes. Im keeping the stock light for now, but when I focus on corals, im gonna upgrade it. Thanks for your responses!

How's the SG now? I would say anything below 1.022 is getting uneasy, below 20 is way too low. If you haven't already, I would recommend doing topoffs with saltwater, until the SG is up to 26.

How's the SG now? I would say anything below 1.022 is getting uneasy, below 20 is way too low. If you haven't already, I would recommend doing topoffs with saltwater, until the SG is up to 26.

My lfs says salinity is good around 1.021, and thats about what it is. I keep anding a little more saltwater ar a time, and the hermit crab is getting a littel more active. So I think its working a little.

Glad it's coming up. Btw, what I meant is that for a reef tank (with coral) your SG should be above 22 for sure. I would keep on topping off with saltwater until it's up there around 23. Good luck!

What corals do u have with that light?

I know it's been a while, but just saw this.... I only had zoas in mine..... I'll see if I can find a pic..... I had a little zenia too, but ripped it out

Back
Top Bottom