Keep or not - tiny star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got some coral this was in the bag when I got home

Attachments

• image-3725924585.jpg
    image-3725924585.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 156
Wow nice

Hopefully you can look after it and let it grow big!

Also you got that for free and didnt have to pay for it

RESULT!

Good Luck

Lol they stay that small, and there are probably dozens in your tank already :) haha they are most likely everywhere

They can drop a leg then that will turn into one and so forth and so on. So yes it will multiply even if it's just one.

I know someone whose watched one of these guys chew up his leather. I toss them when I find them.

Bonessurf said:
I know someone whose watched one of these guys chew up his leather. I toss them when I find them.

Highly doubt that I know a fully stocked tank with hundreds of these little mystery stars in it and no problems... There scavengers so i'm guessing ur friends was already dead

CaliO said:
Highly doubt that I know a fully stocked tank with hundreds of these little mystery stars in it and no problems... There scavengers so i'm guessing ur friends was already dead

I too have dozens and dozens of these guys harmless .. i've seen them going through my zoes and nothing just passing bye.

Some one told me they eat coralline algae. So don know if anyone has more input on this statement ?

The greyish and white ones are harmless. If you come across a blue one, then those are *suspected* coral eaters.
As for coralline algae, I've watched them crawl right over it without leaving a mark. I don't think they have the scraping power for anything but loose detritus.

If you like it then keep it. If you don't like it toss it. It shouldn't be harmful to anything and they usually just multiply like rabbits and hang out on your glass.

I've always been told that they are usually harmless, but there have been many reports of them eating coraline and corals out of the blue, so it's generally recommended to keep an eye on them, though 9/10 times they're fine.

Im keeping it also maybe there it two stars that look alike but ones bad and one good kind of like a mimic thing

Back
Top Bottom