Keep your fishie friends warm in a power outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stayoceanminded

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a tremendous amount of ice, causing all power to go out. My tropical tank temp has dropped drastically. So, I filled 3 water bottles full of hot water and floated them in the breeding tank. I also put a small apple juice bottle in my breeding box for my poor newborn fry. Finally, I wrapped the tanks in thick fleece blankets to keep it insulated and warm. Any more suggestions on how to keep the tank at a steady 79 degrees? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391625539.623128.jpg

Get some pure calcium carbonate (ice melt) and put some in the water bottle. Then, add water and cap it. Put t in your fish tank but watch the tank temps because this will generate quite a bit of heat for two about two hours.

If your stove is out, you can make a beer can stove that runs on ethanol to heat water, it'll boil water in about 5 min, float a hot bottle. Google for instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391626475569.jpg
    1391626475569.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 1391626476315.jpg
    1391626476315.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1391626507845.jpg
    1391626507845.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 71
Hang in there! Our power, cable and internet are out here as well and the 'projected' restoration is not until late this weekend....

Same here! No power until Saturday night. Going to a hotel, so worried about my fish. They haven't eaten all day, they're just as stressed as me I'm sure.

That's pretty creative! My power has been out early this morning. In the time it took to get my generator hooked up the tropical tank went from 79 to 68. The generator has been running all day/night and I will need to go get more gas for it in the am. If I can find it that is. Apparently the gas stations that do have power are out of gas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's pretty creative! My power has been out early this morning. In the time it took to get my generator hooked up the tropical tank went from 79 to 68. The generator has been running all day/night and I will need to go get more gas for it in the am. If I can find it that is. Apparently the gas stations that do have power are out of gas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5 gallon cans and sta-bil treatment are going to be your best friend in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How are you holding up, Oceanminded? They are telling us power won't be back on until late Sunday (gulp...).

Just lost 2/19 fry. :( Stress and cold. My power just came back on but literally just went back off, so upset. They said it will be back by 2 now.

Just lost 2/19 fry. :( Stress and cold. My power just came back on but literally just went back off, so upset. They said it will be back by 2 now.

Sorry about the fry! My guys are unhappy but they will be fine. I actually saw some peco trucks in the area today so I am crossing my fingers things will be back normal by tomorrow (and not Sunday!).

Back
Top Bottom