Keeping A.R. Mini Red ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased some A.R. Mini and dropped it into my 10 gallon tank. I'm running a Planted + on a timer for 7 hours a day. I think it's set on like the 12pm setting, 2 rows of white and one red . Pressurized CO2, Eco- Complete, and as of right now, dosing 1/8 tsp KNO3 3X a week. I do dump about a soda cap full of my EI ferts when I dose my larger tank, so it is getting other ferts as well. I'm also inserting some DIY clay root tabs that include a bit of dry ferts from my EI schedule. Not measuring, but a sprinkle of this, a sprinkle of that , and placing them directly under the plants,down about 2 inches deep. Anyway, my question is, the plants are growing fantastic. The new growth is brick red and looks very healthy, but after a few days the leaves revert to green. Is there anything you can see from the above that might be causing this ?? I see pics of Beautiful deep red A.R. Mini and that's the look i'm after. Thanks for any help !! I can provide more info and even pictures if it would help.

Appears that you are doing everything correctly. I have AR mini and although the growth is not (very) brick red, the older leaves are not turning green either.
As for reds in general, I've read that factors such as additional iron, low nitrates, and red lighting helps. Not sure of the validity of these claims.
I know you are doing EI, but have you measured the nitrate and phosphate levels? I am doing PPS-Pro and have omitted the KNO3 completely (or sometimes have added 1x after the weekly water change). I've found that the fish and whatever has built up in the substrate (EcoComplete, 4 years old) is supplying about 10-20 ppm nitrate.
Are you running the 24/7 in MAX light mode?

I've recently put AR in my tank and haven't had any issues. I have about 80 par at substrate a heap of co2 and I've also recently upped my phosphates to 4x recommended EI dosage. Since upping the phosphates I've seen slot stronger growth from the AR. Mines a nice deep red.

Maybe try upping your phosphate abit? However I am struggling to keep the ludwigi reds that nice red colour.

There's a lot of info about how to make reds more red. I'd focus on making them as healthy as possible and they should change themselves. :)

I just did a quick test of those two parameters and my Nitrates look to be just under 10ppm and Phosphates are at around 4.0ppm. I've always been hesitant to spike the phosphates for fear of the dreaded algae . I'll go ahead and try kicking that up a little and keep an eye on it. Is 10ppm on the Nitrates considered high ? I'm running the Finnex on the second to highest setting. Again, thanks for any help. the plants are very healthy looking, just losing there red color, which was the whole point of buying this plant !! :O)

Phosphate can't cause any form of algae. It's been proven. Tom Barr knew a guy who dosed a massive amount of phosphate and it had no bad effects at all. Excess nutrients don't cause algae.

Don't rely too much on your tests as they will lie to you (phosphate especially). The phosphate test picks up other ions so is very inaccurate.

10ppm nitrate is fine. I dose 40-50ppm weekly on top of my fish bioload with no issues.

I'd worry about lighting last to be honest as raising the light normally just brings on algae.

Do u have a picture of the plant? I'd be interested to see it.

I'm familiar with Toms reports but old theories die hard !! I'll hit the Phosphates a little harder and monitor that. I should have mentioned that I've been using the KN03 to deal with some holes in my Star Repens leaves. They've disappeared since adding the co2 so i'm not really sure I need to does that much anymore, but I read where it also doesn't hurt anything or cause algae. Here are some pics...not the best, but you can see that the plant is very healthy looking and growing fine....Just looking for that color ! It's also a little darker red, the light seemed to wash out the pics a bit .
412966239.jpg
[/IMG]

412966240.jpg
[/IMG]

If dosing EI u should be dosing
1 and 1/8 of kno3 3-4 times a week in a 10 gal (us)
3/16 of trace 3 times a week
3/16 of phosphates 3-4 a week.

I suggest even more than this if your running high light and atleast 30ppm of co2.

Don't overlook co2 either you would be amazed at how far u can push it before it becomes toxic. :)

Hope I'm helping :)

Wow, according to those recommendations, not only am I under-dosing this 10, i'm way under on my 29 gallon !! Those are in teaspoons right ??? I'm no where near that on my 29 let alone the ten !! If i'm understanding I would dose 1 1/8 KN03 for e.g. on EACH dose ?? I'm only adding 1/8 each dose !!! Might have to try your numbers for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I also only dose maybe 1/8 of chelated iron , and csm+b ( alternate ) once a week. Trying to rely on iron tabs for that.

Wow, according to those recommendations, not only am I under-dosing this 10, i'm way under on my 29 gallon !! Those are in teaspoons right ??? I'm no where near that on my 29 let alone the ten !! If i'm understanding I would dose 1 1/8 KN03 for e.g. on EACH dose ?? I'm only adding 1/8 each dose !!! Might have to try your numbers for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I also only dose maybe 1/8 of chelated iron , and csm+b ( alternate ) once a week. Trying to rely on iron tabs for that.

I just googled the EI calculator (it's the nutrient one that pops up first in Google) put in 10g and that's what the recommended was in tea spoons.

For my 29g I dose:
1.5g kno3 4 times a week
1g of phosphates 4 times a week
0.8g trace 3 times a week.

Plus I have a pretty high fish load. Haven't had any dramas at all :)

I just googled the EI calculator (it's the nutrient one that pops up first in Google) put in 10g and that's what the recommended was in tea spoons.

For my 29g I dose:
1.5g kno3 4 times a week
1g of phosphates 4 times a week
0.8g trace 3 times a week.

Plus I have a pretty high fish load. Haven't had any dramas at all :)

I dose these exact values in my 20 gallon. [emoji2]

Barr's been pushing phosphates and iron up to levels some would find outrageous for a couple of decades at least. 4ppm iron, sometimes more. We're at about 0.5ppm with EI. It's a big difference.

Unfortunately our test kits really aren't all that great.

Because no one knows what the conditions are that improves red other than perhaps using a redder bulb it's probably best to ensure the plant has everything it needs in ample supply and let it do its thing like Bert says.

Back
Top Bottom