keeping clown loaches and rtbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gwillbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just wondering how long i could keep 3 clown loaches and a red tail black shark in my 29 gallon tank for? i will be upgrading to 55/75 gallon tank eventually :)

Gwillbo said:
just wondering how long i could keep 3 clown loaches and a red tail black shark in my 29 gallon tank for? i will be upgrading to 55/75 gallon tank eventually :)

Clown loaches can get to about 16" but I have never owned them so I don't know how fast they grow. As for the RTS, they get to be about 6". So for how long I can't tell you, but I so know you should try and get the 75 gallon or possibly more whenever you do buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Clown loach grow really slow that's why the bigger ones are so expensive but I'd get him in the bigger tank as soon as poss anyway. Can't say for the red tail though, never had one

Clowns do grow really slow but it is possible to stunt them. My buddy kept one in a 30g tall and it was really tiny. I took it off him, put it in my 30g long and it hasn't grown at all in the past two years.

I recently gave it to guy a who has a 120g tank with tons of clowns in them and he said he hasn't grown at all.

thanks for the replys people, i think i'll leave the clown loaches for now don't wanna stunt there growth, dojo loach and zebra loaches should be ok tho won't they? if i can find any in my local pet shops

Dojos can get 10-12 inches and need at least a 55 gallon (besides, they are more a coldwater fish).

The zebras should do ok.

You could probably keep the RTS in the 29g indefinitely if the bottom is lightly stocked. They only get 4-5".

well i have 3 kuhli loaches and a Chinese algae eater which im getting rid of!
on the bottom at the moment, don't think he will hassle the kulhi's but will he be ok with 2/3 zebra loaches?

Gwillbo said:
well i have 3 kuhli loaches and a Chinese algae eater which im getting rid of!
on the bottom at the moment, don't think he will hassle the kulhi's but will he be ok with 2/3 zebra loaches?

I've never owned a CAE but I do know that they are aggressive when they get older. So if your getting rid of him and he's still young he should keep to himself and bother the zebras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

don't get a CAE either they are nothing but trouble! keeps trying to suck on the side of my betta all the time! he is about 4" long as is getting worse they can grow to 8"+ so need him out he will be a killing machine otherwise, I've heard the rtbs can be quiet territorial but tank is 3ft long plenty of plants and caves so think he should be ok with 2/3 zebras :)

You could probably keep the RTS in the 29g indefinitely if the bottom is lightly stocked. They only get 4-5".

yea i was thinking that but i'll have to get tiger barbs or something cause he won't be very nice to guppies or tetras im guessing

yea i was thinking that but i'll have to get tiger barbs or something cause he won't be very nice to guppies or tetras im guessing

Actually, I had a full grown one for years and it never bothered any of my other fish. He mostly kept to himself. Now I have a new one (my old one passed and I was very bothered because he was such a sweet fish I could pick him up by hand when I needed to take him out) and he also keeps to himself and just eats the algae off my fake plants and stays in his skull cave. Even my aggressive leporinus doesn't bother him.

Actually, I had a full grown one for years and it never bothered any of my other fish. He mostly kept to himself. Now I have a new one (my old one passed and I was very bothered because he was such a sweet fish I could pick him up by hand when I needed to take him out) and he also keeps to himself and just eats the algae off my fake plants and stays in his skull cave. Even my aggressive leporinus doesn't bother him.

cool well i purchased a rtbs on sat so hope mine is as peaceful as yours :)

Back
Top Bottom