Keeping Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
As a goldfish breeder. And it seams like there are a lot of goldfish Questions. I breed regular pond goldfish comets. Better known as reg. Goldfish. Where to begin? First I don't sell any goldfish for aquarium use. Goldfish get big! they need space. You are not going to control the size in a tank. The reason I say a 55 gal is to small isn't water volume its the size. A 40 gal breeder is better. My goldfish could barely turn around in a 55gal. I'm not addressing fancy goldfish so you goldfish keepers don't get upset. I have kept nice fancy goldfish in 55 no problem. Comets need space. If you must keep goldfish Comets. I suggest a 75gal wide. Lg. filter capacity. 2 filter system 1 biological one set up with ammonia nitrate pads and carbon. Fish have to be added slowly one at a time depending on the size of the fish. Food I Prefer both floating and sinking pellets. I alternate with my feeding and the size pellet has to match the fish. over feeding is the largest down fall of any tank fresh or saltwater. The no 1 cause of a tank crashing. Freshwater saltwater or reef. Goldfish spend a lot of time just sifting through the bottom gravel that's why I use sinking pellets. YOU have to be careful with feeding! Next cause of Tank crash. Fish overload. Human nature I guess. Have to keep adding that extra fish. Well that extra fish could be the fish that kills your Tank. Think of the fish you already have first not your self. Small fish grow up to be big fish and they grow fast. Quarantine ! N0 fish goes into any of my tanks with out going through a quarantine first! No matter how small how big or what kind. Unquarantine fish another major cause of wipeouts fresh and salt water. I cannot stress this enough. Here we spend hundreds and sometimes thousands on a tank. When a quarantine tank costs pennies to that to setup salt or fresh. Freshwater a 5 or 10 gal will do depending on your fish. If they are realy small fish a 2 1/2 will do. saltwater 15 long or 20 high in most cases, can be set up simple. All my fish get treated for ick if present or not. All my saltwater gets treated for ick with copper after that quarantine is done they get treated for internal parasites. freshwater 1 month quarantine. Saltwater 2 month. My pond fish get treated every 6 month antiparasite. external and internal.

Thanks for the information on responsible goldfish keeping.
You're 100% right, way to much misinformation on goldfish out there. I wish we didn't see it so often.

Back
Top Bottom