Keeping my fishless cycle alive without fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrono1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I have a question, I think I know the answer but I want to be sure so I don't have to start a fishless cycle all over again.

I'm doing a fishless cycle, but may be moving for a job, meaning I'll have to take my aquarium with its fishless cycle and my frog tank with two baby red eyed tree frogs down to my parents house several states away while I am at training since I won't be able to tend to them during that time.

Will my fishless cycle stay the same as long as I transport all of the water, and the filter (and keep the filter wet) or will I be better off just abandoning the fishless cycle and restarting it when I get finished?

Since there is no fish to support the beneficial bacteria, the bacteria will begin to die off without a food source. You should probably start the cycle again later.

Will your parents be able to keep the cycle going for you? If so, just transport the filter media & any substrate/decor in some tank water & set everything back up when you get there. No need to transport the water but do make sure you check their tap water's water parameters. The bacteria will be fine during transport & can actually last days with no food source.

Thanks guys for the advice. I was able to keep the cycle going :)

Bad news is I don't think I got the job I'm after, good news is if I do get the job then it doesn't start until June and I can add fish before then ;)

Back
Top Bottom