klutz asking a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 down, 2 to go!

I have an api master kit, ceramic tile, and fingers that don't cooperate ;-)
I have broken 2 of the vials. One by dropping on my ceramic tile and one by trying to dry the inside.
Can I try to find plastic tubes or will that interfere with the test results?
Guess there is a reason I am not a scientist....
Thanks

I would think as long as u have the 5ml of water and can see to read results, it should be fine.

Amazon has them! I just did this yesterday too! I had my sample waiting on the drops, reached for the bottle, and had a big uh oh x2. I'm so klutzy too so don't feel bad lol

You can use plastic vials with no problems as long as they have a line marking 5ml. I have a lot of old plastic vials from another test kit brand I used years ago and the API test results are no different when I use plastic vs. glass vials.

Looking on amazon and can only find larger ones. If anyone finds them with free or prime shipping could you post the link? Thanks.

I see they sell the replacement api glass ones.......uhhhhhh... I am not the first!

Looking on amazon and can only find larger ones. If anyone finds them with free or prime shipping could you post the link? Thanks.

I see they sell the replacement api glass ones.......uhhhhhh... I am not the first!

Here's the link to the 5ml tubes on amazon - I haven't been able to find a smaller pack, although I'm glad I bought 24 as I have already broken a few. Slippery wet glass vials and ceramic tile floors don't do well together

REPLACEMENT TEST TUBES W/CAPS: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

Ok, I'm right there with you, broke one of mine a few weeks ago. I figured I would just wait till my test chemicals ran out and buy another kit.....or do they they sell the bottles of chemicals separate also?

Ok, I'm right there with you, broke one of mine a few weeks ago. I figured I would just wait till my test chemicals ran out and buy another kit.....or do they they sell the bottles of chemicals separate also?

You can buy individual tests kits if you don't need another master kit. Each test kit comes with a single test tube. I test for nitrate more often than I test the other parameters so I prefer to buy individual test kits as I need them rather than buy master kits. Drs. Foster and Smith have a sale on individual test kits right now.

Thanks everyone! I am sure glad that I am not the only one!
I was going to wait til I had to buy more solution but at the rate i am breaking them I won't have any left by then!

Good to know about the individual test kits, my testing a real hot and heavy right now, setting up 2 new tanks, and I have no patients I keep testing twice a day. Oh well, I guess when you are retired, you have to keep busy with something, sure glad I have my fish.

Back
Top Bottom