Large growth burst on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vik001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had her for 7 years, about a year ago she started with 2 small lumps, past 4, 5 months 2 more growths, with the original 2 growing to the current size. 3 months ago I showed pictures to the local shop, the staffer side they look like tumors and not to worry as long as the fish acts healthy. He had in a treatment tank a tropical fish and it had similar growths and he showed me it and explained. Just got home and noticed 1 of the growths has burst. She seems fine, ate, swimming around, usual behavior. Can someone offer advice/solution as the shop does not open until 10am, now 12am. The other 2 fish are fine, 1 I've had for 7 years, the large 1 for over 8.
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/viktorkay/library/fish

220ltr squared Tank, tank has full clean every 3 weeks, partial water change (1/3) every week. :fish2:

Thanks
Viktor

The growth that burst is slowly falling apart, she seems fine, but it looks bad, not sure if I should let her be?

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? If you have Gh and Kh this will help as well! What are you testing with (liquid or strips)? What do you normally feed them (exact brand, types of food)?

What you are seeing is called lymphocystis. Its a viral disease that causes cells to enlarge resulting in the growths you are seeing. There is no treatment or cure but its generally not fatal unless it interferes with breathing, swimming or eating. There is a risk of secondary infections which can be fatal. An aquatic vet can remove the growths but there is a good chance they will regrow if steps are not taken to minimize this.

Management and excellent husbandry practices are the key to helping a fish utilize his own immune system to fight the virus. This means pristine water (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less 5ppm nitrate, ideal gh/kh for goldfish), a nutritious diet that supports immune function and limiting stress. It can be spread to other similar species (ie, goldfish to goldfish) so quarantining him in a 20-30g tank by himself would be a good first step.

I do see in your one pic that your other goldfish has hemorrhages along his dorsal fin which is of a concern for tank conditions and the presence of other bacterial issues. Addressing tank conditions should be a priority here. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Thanks for your speedy reply. Not sure about the test results as I usually take a sample to the shop once every 4-5 weeks. Never had major issues, rarely small offset from ave test score. I've had this set up for 8 years, fish seem relaxed, the big 1 for 8 years. the other 2 ( inc the viral cyst fish ) for 7 years. I feed them Wardly Gold food Original formula and Tatrafin flakes, Aqua One liquid filter, use Marine Master water ager and algae control which are not high end brands. My cleaning descriptions are in the first post. I have set up a secondary tank as I have 2 small goldies I'm about to introduce to the main tank, so I'll reset the second tank as a treatment tank, I have brought API stress coat +, API Melafix antibacterial and Nutrafin max flakes. Is that fine for the treatment tank? I'm about to do a full clean on the main tank, take out the infected fish, introduce the 2 new fish and I'll use Melafix and API stress coat + on the main tank too. I understand about the virus, most likely the other fish have it, but hopefully it stays dormant. I hope my solution above is ok as I'm not a hobbyist or into the tech side of the aquarium community, I love animals and do my best to look after them, all 3 are like my children so I'm always open to advice. I've added more pictures for the setups. Fish Photos by viktorkay | Photobucket

Can you possibly invest in an API freshwater master test kit? Managing your tank conditions/water quality will be vital in the health of your fish with the active infection as well as assuring water conditions are kept pristine to assure the health of your other fish. I would also toss the Wardley and Tetra foods. They are very poor quality foods. I would consider getting them some Hikari Saki and/or NLS Thera A (with garlic) and add some daily veggies to their diet.

Algae chemicals are very toxic and can affect gill function. I would stop using this promptly. All you need is a good water conditioner. Melafix will not do much of anything here but you are welcome to try it if you wish. If your fish have a negative reaction to it, be prepared to remove it promptly.

Let us know how your parameters look when you are able to invest in a good liquid test kit and please ask any questions!

Ordered a multi test kit, higher grade food that is rich in garlic and veg content. Yesterday after 3 hours of cleaning and setting up without anti algae add in , the main tank has been fully cleaned leaving the 2 healthy fish, the infected fish is enjoying me time in a second tank, while the 2 babies are in a mini tank waiting till they grow as big daddy will do a jaws on them in the main tank. All 3 setups are looking good and will monitor as per your advise to which I thank. I have 2 shops near me, 1 is highly rated in Australia, sadly I went awhile back and did not get served so no thank you, the regular 1 I go to, well he was arrogant and expensive but had good choice and knowledge until I noticed my rewards points allocated to other customers. This same shop is now franchised, went yesterday, explained to the staff the issues, he had basic knowledge hence I left confused what he sold me. I just come back from a highly rated shop that is 40mins from me, well again very arrogant and told me I was wasting his time and should go to a pet store. So again thanks for your advise and great website. If the infected fish continues to have the growths after awhile can I reintroduce her to the main tank?

Hi there,
I am in Australia, too - if you are in Melbourne I could send you a message with some helpful shops.

Roz

Hi there,
I am in Australia, too - if you are in Melbourne I could send you a message with some helpful shops.

Thanks Roz, in Melbourne, Heidelberg way. Any recommendations are much appreciated.(y)

Once the virus is being controlled by the fish's immune system, the growths will subside and basically fall off. There may be some scarring but the fish will no longer be actively shedding the virus and will be safe to reintroduce to the main tank.

Getting worse

Problem is that new growths are appearing bigger, one on the tail, one, a vertical long one between the popped growth and the new tail growth and a new one seems to be manifesting on the other side towards the tail shi Fish Photos by viktorkay | Photobucket

She has had the two large growths since Feb/March without disappearing. Is it time to call her maker?:deadhorse:

I decided to euthanise the fish, she was becoming stressed, and swimming off balance. New growths were appearing and the old ones are getting larger. Not fair on her after 7 years, a real sweetheart but obviously in discomfort. Thanks for the advise jlk.

Vik

I am very sorry :(

It still is important to work on making sure your water conditions are kept very pristine and that your remaining fish are eating a nutritious diet that includes daily veggies. Anyone that was in the tank with her has been exposed to the virus so assuring their immune systems are in top shape will be vital to preventing further outbreaks. If you have any questions, please ask!

sorry to hear that man ! :(

Best of luck with your other little guys !

Like all children, they just don't like eating their veg, my dogs love veg though:ermm: I, again cleaned my main tank, added new planets and introduced the 2 little guys to the main tank. As per advice I ordered a test kit, Sera and Hikari fish food and better quality additives. This thread should hopefully enlighten others with similar problems.

Cheers
Vik

Back
Top Bottom