Large tank PWC, safe way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meBNme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the right way/s to do a PWC in a large tank?
I had previously dropped a hose in, and started siphoning/gravel vac. The water just dumping in the yard. After it would lower 5 or 6 inches, I brought in another hose with fresh water (well water ph6.5 0 ammo/trItes and 30 trAtes from the tap) and continued vacuuming the gravel until approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the water had been cycled.

After reading here, I assume this is wrong.

Mainly due to temp change, and ph change.

Are you able to adjust the temp on the water coming into the tank? I have a 55g and basically I do my siphon/gravel vac into 5g buckets until about 50% of water is gone (takes a few trips to the bathtub) then refill buckets with dechlorinator and temp matched water from tub faucet. Then just pour it in. Also have you looked into a water changer that hooks right up to your sink?

I havent, however, I am a HVAC tech & Plumber and have been seriously considering running both a drain and a fresh water line right up throught the floor under the tank cabinet, and having instant drain/supply right at the tank.

Only now my concern is about the temp issue.

I am really against the bucket thing, only because it would take all day to do a big water change for my 150.

How are the folks with the 300+ gallon tanks doing them?

I'll tell you how I do my pond....500 gallons. I take a hose. Suck on one end and drain it into the yard. I drain about 300 gallons of water off then top off directly from the hose...I'm using city punch too but of course I use lots of dechlor.

bump

Crepe, I assume your pond has "cold water" fish and they thrive in the colder tap water temps.

From what I'm reading here, tropical fish can have major issues, ick etc from rapid temp changes.

So I'm wondering hoe the big tankers do it safely.

bump

Crepe, I assume your pond has "cold water" fish and they thrive in the colder tap water temps.

From what I'm reading here, tropical fish can have major issues, ick etc from rapid temp changes.

So I'm wondering hoe the big tankers do it safely.

There is no such thing as cold tapwater in houston. Our plumping is shallow and water comes out 84F...It's not a big deal. Temp shock is really hard to achieve trust me. When you're changing 100+ gallons of water on a 300 gallon tank. It's not going to drop your temp more than 2 degrees (which is no problem for the fish) unless your tap comes out at around 60 degrees. And also you could always...you know watch your thermometer...and if it drops more than 2 degrees stop the water and let your thermostats kick the temps back up...

Thanks!

What is the whole danger of ich with temp changes?

Back
Top Bottom